Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Persistence of an eVar with asynchronous processes

Level 2

Hello there.

I'm quite new to adobe analytics and this is my first question I posted here, so please don't be to harsh with me.

I'm currently trying to measure a tricky process, that occurs after the page load and up on the interaction with the user, so far so good, this process comes in the form of a widget that also receives the response from the server within itself. The problem being is that this asynchronous process has to use the same variables that are used on page load since we have no variable available left. I tried to separate the tracking of this asynchronous process variables through a different rule (direct call rule), but that didn't help overcome the situation where by variables used by the page load were stepped on by the variables used by the widget.

I hope I did myself clear, if please let me know.

I thought perhaps changing the persistence of the evars to hit but then again, I only need this for very specific situation that does not occur all the time.

Based on your experience how would you go about having the same variables used without the risk of stepping on the previous values?

Thank you ever so much

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Check how eVars and props are processed:

Props and eVar

If for some reason you do not want to overwrite the value that you set on page load then you need to use variableOverrides:

Manual Link Tracking Using Custom Link Code

Variable Overrides

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Typically a evar variable is overwritten as soon as a new instance is presented. You try look at data elements. They may allow you to maintain and mange the flow and persistence.

Have a read here and see if it helps.

Data Elements

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Check how eVars and props are processed:

Props and eVar

If for some reason you do not want to overwrite the value that you set on page load then you need to use variableOverrides:

Manual Link Tracking Using Custom Link Code

Variable Overrides

Level 2

Thanks a lot for the info, I wasn't even aware that you could override variables in such way.

Thanks again!