Expand my Community achievements bar.

Paid Search Visits result in Organic Search Conversions

Level 1

Greetings,  organic search is getting credit for conversions to a simple lead generation flow from paid search marketing efforts.  Created a segment where channel=paid THEN NEXT HIT was channel=organic and confirmed the volumes.  These aren’t folks backing out and coming back in.  What could cause the last touch credit to change to organic either between pages or for the conversion event specifically?  I would think it has to do with the natural vs paid search detection rules, or maybe something missing in our channel processing rules,

4 Replies

Level 4

I believe your segment definition is incorrect. Could you please post a screenshot of the segment that you created?

Level 1

Sure, attached is a screenshot of the segment I created to attempt to troubleshoot.  However, the issue is certainly occuring.

PortofDreams_0-1720193101164.png

I am wondering if our Paid Search Detection or Processing Rules could be a problem.

• Detection is set to Search Engine=ANY and QueryString contains PDSCH
  • Processing rule is set to QueryString contains PDSCH (as opposed to "matches Paid Search Detection")

PortofDreams_0-1720196921317.png

Level 4

Interesting, i tried the same segment and get 0%.

What is chl in v78? do you need that? Also, what is organic search (renamed natural search)? why is paid search #7 in the list, shouldn't it be above natural?

Level 1

v78 is the querystring.  Rather then looking for a specific tracking parameter to define the channel as paid search, it's looking for a specific value within the querystring.  One logical concern could be why not just set this to "Meets Paid Search Detection Rules".  The detection rule is set to:

PortofDreams_0-1720448590940.png

Not sure why it's #7, but it does occur before Organic/Natural Search.  It's definition is below.

PortofDreams_1-1720448714654.png

Not sure why a visit may be properly being attributed to Paid Search in these instances, however the conversion event that occurs a click or two later seems to be "re-evaluating the channel".  One guess is that the Referring Search Engine has stuck, but because the CHL=PDSCH is no longer in the querystring at that point the re-evaluation sets it to Organic Search.

Using a more refined segment it appears that the transition occurs on the final confirmation page when the conversion event occurs.