Expand my Community achievements bar.

Paid Campaign Visit Drop

Level 3

Hi, 

We've noticed a decrease in the visit traffic within our paid campaign report. Upon examining the campaign query param values in the s.campaign report. we've observed this decline from mid of this month. Upon Further analysis, when we segment the data by browser, we see a notable drop specifically in Chrome 120.0. Interestingly, there hasn't been a corresponding increase in traffic for Chrome 121. the only modification that we made duering this timeframe pertains to cross domain tracking, although i don't think it should have any effect.

Any thoughts

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Did the drop correspond to any tagging updates? Or changes to processing of data? Any changes to how your paid content is being posted?

Just trying to get the whole picture... I haven't seen any drops in our data.. but this type of investigation really needs a deep dive. (How you are tracking, attribution models, could data be overwriting it, did something break causing Chrome to stop recording it properly, did people forget to tag, or did auto-tagging start failing, etc)

Level 1

@Jennifer_Dungan thanks for the response. No changes in the processing of data. The only update that we did during those time period is related to cross domain tracking. we are just check if url contains query param then captures those values in v0(s.campaign)

Community Advisor

Hmmm, what changes were made to cross domain tracking? I would expect the paid campaign values to now follow the user from DomainA to DomainB now, reducing "Direct" traffic when moving between them..  or is it possible that it used to count the visits to DomainA and DomainB as separate visits, but attributed to the same paid campaign? So that your Visits were actually inflated?

Level 1

Implemented cross domain tracking based on this documentation appendVisitorIDsTo (Cross-Domain Tracking) | Adobe Experience Cloud Services

Interesting, what's the best way to check the whether visits counted separately for Domain A to Domain B.

just FYI - we are running our campaign only on  website A and user doesn't necessary need to go to Domain to convert.

Community Advisor

OK, good to know... there may be other issues at hand, its harder to be outside trying to help solve an issue (I'm not familiar with your set up, your flows, your code, etc).

Now, in theory, a lot of cross domain traffic should transfer the ECID without the need to pass it... but there are of course outliers that still use it. For instance, if I open an incognito window, load DomainA in one tab, open a second tab manually and type in DomainB (not following a link), then open a third tab and type in DomainC (also not following a link), all three of my domains have the same ECID value assigned to them (without the cross domain service).

Odds are, a high percentage of your users were properly identified across your servers without that change.

If you were to create a Visit segment, that looks for DomainA and DomainB, that should return all visits where the user hit both domains... confirming that the visit didn't start anew when moving from A to B (or vice versa, B to A). You don't need a sequential segment here, simply looking for hits in both domains will tell you if your visits crossed over.

But if users were treated as the same Visit (prior to your drop), that would go against the assumption that visits are now consolidated...

And that would put us back to square one on trying to figure out a drop that corresponded with the release...