Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Marketing Channel Processing Rules - Query String Params Not Working

Level 2

Hi,

I have marketing channels setup as per below, where I am to process all utm_source query string parameters with certain values into an "Aggregator" channel. my setup is as per below:

alexjbaker11_0-1622731892949.png

alexjbaker11_1-1622731916329.png

However, I am getting nothing come up in workspace under the "Aggregators" marketing channel?

Thanks,

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You could consider moving the aggregator rule above the referring domains rule to give it priority over the referring domains rule - this way there would be no need for the exclusion on the referring domains rule.

It's probably better practice to do it this way round and may make it more simple to trouble shoot the issue e.g. if it you are not getting aggregator traffic you know it is because either the query string parameter is missing or does not contain the value you are looking for.

A couple of general points to note about using query string parameters in Adobe:

• Query string parameters derived directly from the URL are not available on link tracking calls (i.e. only available on page views)
  • Sometimes adobe truncates variables so things can get lost if they are part of a very long URL/query string parameter.  I think things get cut off at 255 characters during Adobe's processing of the data but I haven't tested this is a while so can't be certain this is still the case.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 7

Hello @alexjbaker11 Can you breakdown the 'Aggregator' channel by 'Marketing Channel Detail' to see what values are being reported ? Is everything reported under 'None' ?

Level 2

Hi @alexjbaker11  The set up seems to be correct, no issues there.
Please check with the 'Last touch channel report' to check for Channel name & as mentioned by @amgup also check 'Last touch channel detail' report if you see query param value in that report.

If you still don't see attribution to the correct channel as you'd expect, you check 2 things:
1. Verify if the url with query params is in correct format, for marketing channel processing rule to extra query param info.

2. If you really want to know the reason what went wrong, I suggest pulling raw data via data feeds and check for those hits, that would definitely give you the answer.

Level 2

Hi @atulsingh17 

It looks like everything that I am expecting to go into my "Aggregators" channel is going into the "Referring Domains" channel (that I use for another site), even though I have excluded this site as per below: 

alexjbaker11_0-1622794801053.png

Can you think of a reason why this might be? 

Level 2
The reason i can think of is the placement of the rule. I suggest to keep Query param related rules at the top of list. Marketing channel processing rules works from top to bottom approach. So if referring domain rule comes first, traffic will be allocated to referring domain and wont check rest of the rules.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You could consider moving the aggregator rule above the referring domains rule to give it priority over the referring domains rule - this way there would be no need for the exclusion on the referring domains rule.

It's probably better practice to do it this way round and may make it more simple to trouble shoot the issue e.g. if it you are not getting aggregator traffic you know it is because either the query string parameter is missing or does not contain the value you are looking for.

A couple of general points to note about using query string parameters in Adobe:

• Query string parameters derived directly from the URL are not available on link tracking calls (i.e. only available on page views)
  • Sometimes adobe truncates variables so things can get lost if they are part of a very long URL/query string parameter.  I think things get cut off at 255 characters during Adobe's processing of the data but I haven't tested this is a while so can't be certain this is still the case.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?

Level 2

No more idea about this marketing channel. But as a new starter, I would like to learn. Thank you so much!