Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

\// Last page viewed from a group of pages //

Level 3

Hello,

I'm working on a site where there are 7 pages in particular that users often cycle through, sometimes not in a particular order, and sometimes browsing to other sections of the website and then coming back into the 1 of these 7 pages.

What I am trying to measure is the last page viewed of those 7 before they exited the site, on a Visit level. I can't use the Exit Page dimension in Analytics because it will exclude visits where the user viewed some of those 7 pages but ultimately didn't exit from there (ie - they continued to browse elsewhere on the site).

I don't care how many times they hit any of the pages, or in what order, I just want to count how many times X page was the last page viewed of those 7 pages.

I had created a segment in Analytics on the visit level that was essentially:

• pagename traffic variable = pagename:tool:apple Then Within 1 Visit(s) pagename traffic variable does not contain pagename:tool
  • Note - all 7 pages start with the same beginning and end with a different word (we'll pretend in this example all 7 pages are named after a fruit)

This segment to me says: user visited the apple tool page, and within the same visit, did not go back to any of the tool pages. However, based on the numbers I'm seeing in my workspace, it feels off, and I am missing visits.

Essentially what I want to do is find the exit page for a subset of pages on a site - its not the "true" Exit Page dimension in Analytics, but I guess we could call it a Sub-Exit Page where you can set the pages in this group and measure what the last page they viewed in the group is.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. 

Thank you!

RC

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Yes, I understood this to be the case from your first post... the segment I came up with is the closest I was able to achieve... since you are trying to get a count on only those pages as the last step, your original segment didn't quite get there.... yours pulled every page from your site in the visit that met the criteria.

My segment looked specifically at those pages that ALSO fell into the "visit level 'last of the pages' group"... however, I don't know if that will solve the issue... but remember, your "visit" count could be much higher than your target visitors... since the same visitor could enter the flow multiple times from different visits.....

The under counting doesn't seem right....

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

So I was playing with tagging similar to what you described, in my case, the sample data I have has a bunch of pages that start with "app: category" so I used that as a stand in:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1667159407774.png

The issue I am seeing with this, since the segment is at visit level, it's also getting all other pages with in the visit.

So I took what you described and attempted to expand upon it...

First, I set my segment to "hit" level, since I only want the specific pages starting with "app: category" to be returned... Then I used an "AND" operator, and added a visit level container (which I also set to "only before sequence"), where I used the "within 1 visit" logic:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1667159636708.png

The numbers in my sequence are slightly smaller than yours, but the total at the top is significantly different:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1667159694533.png

If I scroll down the report, I can see that mine is not including pages that don't fit the criteria:

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1667159765486.png

While I think this is correct, without really digging into the raw data I don't know for sure; but I feel this might be closer to what you are trying to achieve - since all the non-matching pages have now been excluded from the total?

Level 3

Hi Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed response.

I may not have been clear enough when trying to explain what I want to measure first time around, so I am going to provide an example that hopefully clarifies.

For example purposes, we'll say there are 3 pages related to a specific tool that visitors often browse through, each labeled by letter (A, B, C).

Here are some example visits:

• Browse Site --> Visit A (Exit site from here)
  • Visit A --> Visit B --> Visit C (Exit site from here)
  • Visit A --> Browse Site --> Visit C (Exit site from here)
  • Visit B --> Visit A --> Browse Site --> Visit A (Exit site from here)
  • Visit A --> Visit C --> Visit B --> Visit C --> Browse site --> Exit site
  • Browse Site --> Visit A --> Visit B --> Browse Site --> Visit C --> Visit B (Exit site from here)

In each Visit, I want to measure the last page in our pretend tool visited (A, B or C). In the above examples, the last tool page visited would be A, C, C, A, C, and B (respectively), and I want to count how many times each Tool page was the last page visited. The way I was making my segment that I explained in my first comment are supposed to be counting if that page is the last tool page visited.

Adding to the example and why I'm not confident with the data I'm seeing is because let says for example we are running a Target Activity where we are seeing about ~30K people enter the experience (you just have to visit one of the tool pages to be considered part of the experience). I would therefore expect about 30K as the total count for the last page visited in the tool, but I'm often way under or way to far over when trying to measure this (not counting enough or counting too much).

In any case, your help is greatly appreciated, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

RC

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Yes, I understood this to be the case from your first post... the segment I came up with is the closest I was able to achieve... since you are trying to get a count on only those pages as the last step, your original segment didn't quite get there.... yours pulled every page from your site in the visit that met the criteria.

My segment looked specifically at those pages that ALSO fell into the "visit level 'last of the pages' group"... however, I don't know if that will solve the issue... but remember, your "visit" count could be much higher than your target visitors... since the same visitor could enter the flow multiple times from different visits.....

The under counting doesn't seem right....