Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Key Metrics report has inconsistent results when broken down by day and has same segment applied.

Level 1

What I am finding is that the reports are exactly the same in every way other than the time interval. One covers exclusively the month of May and the other covers from May 1st until July 16th.

I'm not sure why the page views, visits, and unique visitors are different even though they are both covering the same individual days. [img]May-July16thkeymetricreport.PNG[/img]

[img]1month(May)keymetricreport.PNG[/img]

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Maybe an example can explain this better.

Visit history of a visitor for the period May,1 – July, 16:

May, 3

Visit 1 : www.yourwebsite.com

Visit 2 : www.yourwebsite.com/page2

June 4,

Visit 2 : www.yourwebsite.com/IT_support_centre

Based on your segment, he is excluded for the reporting period of May because he did not visit the page IT support centre. However, he is included in the segment for the period May,1 – July, 16 because he did visit the page IT support centre. But his 2 visits for May, 3 are included as well this time. That is why your data for May is different for the reporting period May,1 – July, 16.

Comparing overlapping periods when segments are involved can be a little tricky because of the retroactive changes. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 3

It depends on your segment. For example, if the segment only includes visitors with 5 or more visits in your reporting period the second period (May 1st until July 16th) will inlcude more visitors and this will influence the data for May as well.

Level 3
When a visitor visits that page in June he is excluded in your first period of May but included in the second period. His visits for May are also included in the second period because he is within the segment this time. Hope this makes sense.

Level 1

~~[img]SEGMENT.PNG[/img]

Here is the segment. I'm still unsure how this segment could be giving me such different results.

Correct answer by
Level 3

Maybe an example can explain this better.

Visit history of a visitor for the period May,1 – July, 16:

May, 3

Visit 2 : www.yourwebsite.com/page2

June 4,

Visit 2 : www.yourwebsite.com/IT_support_centre

Based on your segment, he is excluded for the reporting period of May because he did not visit the page IT support centre. However, he is included in the segment for the period May,1 – July, 16 because he did visit the page IT support centre. But his 2 visits for May, 3 are included as well this time. That is why your data for May is different for the reporting period May,1 – July, 16.

Comparing overlapping periods when segments are involved can be a little tricky because of the retroactive changes. 

Level 10

Hi,

The numbers should not be different if there is difference only in the date. There must be something else at work here, could you share the details of the segment that is applied here. Screenshot of the segment definition would be helpful here.

Thanks!

TM