Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Incorrect Referring Domain

Level 1

Hello all,

I am wondering if you can help me with my reporting issue.

Scenario:

I have this domain www.subdomain.domain.com, and there is a CTA on that page that when you click, you'll go to www.domain.com.
When I created a marketing channel report, and filtered with referring domain, I can see the traffic, but the referring domain is not from www.subdomain.domain.com but from www.domain.com. The subdomain dropped from the report.

NOTE:

The URLs above are only for visuals/examples.

Question:

Do you have any insights into why the referring domain is incorrect? Is this something to do with the processing rule, or do you have any recommended setup?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The "Referring Domain" dimension doesn't include www or subdomains... it collapses ALL traffic from any variant of a domain under the main domain... Referring Domain is supposed to work like that... it shows all traffic from all variations of "facebook.com" or all variations from "siteB.com" (even if siteB has 20 subdomains)

Are you tracking your main domain and subdomain in the same tracking suite? If so, you shouldn't ever see domain.com or subdomain.com as a referrer, as they should be coded as Internal Traffic URLs... then if you need to see traffic moving between domain and subdomain you can use Flow Diagrams, or Internal Campaigns to track users moving between the two variants.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The "Referring Domain" dimension doesn't include www or subdomains... it collapses ALL traffic from any variant of a domain under the main domain... Referring Domain is supposed to work like that... it shows all traffic from all variations of "facebook.com" or all variations from "siteB.com" (even if siteB has 20 subdomains)

Are you tracking your main domain and subdomain in the same tracking suite? If so, you shouldn't ever see domain.com or subdomain.com as a referrer, as they should be coded as Internal Traffic URLs... then if you need to see traffic moving between domain and subdomain you can use Flow Diagrams, or Internal Campaigns to track users moving between the two variants.