Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Incorrect evar values when broken down with prop in Workspace

Level 1

Hi All,

I am facing the below scenario and will need possible solution for this.
Scenario:

I have two pages. Say Page A and Page B. On page A I have a link which takes me to page B which is a form page. On page A the implementation trigger page load call where it captures page name in evar and same method is implemented page B.

On page B the implementation also triggers a custom call for successful form submission CTA text on click in a prop.
Now, when I breakdown this exact value of Form submission prop by pages, it provides me values with both page A and page B.

I wonder why I see numbers of CTA clicks with both the pages. Should not It only be associated with page B as the form is on page B and page B page load triggers before than Form sign up.

There are different Adobe Launch properties for both the pages but report suit for data collection is same.

I am using occurrences, visit and a calculated metric where condition is visit with CTA value.

Thanks
Animesh

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @AnimeshKu 

assuming that you are capturing page A and B in the same eVar, what have you set as allocation in your eVar settings?

Could it be set to "Linear" and not "Most recent"? This could explaing an even allocation on both values.

bjoern__koth_1-1726779591649.png

Hope that helps.
Cheers from Switzerland!

Level 1

Hi @bjoern__koth

Page A and Page B are set in same evar. The allocation is set to Most Recent. The problem is that the issue occurs randomly. 90% of the times the CTA of click is assigned to page B which is correct. Only 10% times it gets assigned to Page A. 

AnimeshKu_0-1727076983552.png

Thanks

Animesh

Community Advisor

What is the attribution of your eVar? Is it possible that the page name is failing sometimes on Page B, so the value of Page A is carried forward to your form submission?

Example:

• Page A
    • eVarX = page A
  • Page B
    • eVarX fails to set to "page B", so page "A" is still being sent
  • Page B Form Submission
    • Again, "page A" is maintained as the value due to visit attribution

Or following on what @bjoern__koth said, could you also have the allocation set to "first value"? So visits that start on A would continue to use "page a", and people who came directly to Page B (or maybe let the session expire after coming to page B, before submitting the form), would track "page b"?

Level 1

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

The allocation is set to Most Recent. The problem is that the issue occurs randomly. 90% of the times the CTA of click is assigned to page B which is correct. Only 10% times it gets assigned to Page A. 

AnimeshKu_0-1727077171799.png

Thanks

Animesh

Community Advisor

This sounds like my example above then... an attribution issue....

In addition to Page B failing to be set, if the form submission happens before the page load (i.e. if you are using Window Loaded, and there is any resource preventing the page from completing to load... like an ad or a third party component), and you are relying on your visit attribution to set the page value on your form submission, it's very likely that its sending the previously set value.

Example:

Normal Scenario:

• Page A loaded
    • Trigger: Window Loaded
      • eVarX set explicitly to "Page A"
  • Page B loaded
      • eVarX set explicitly to "Page B"
  • Form completed by user
    • Trigger: Form Submit
      • eVarX maintains the last value, but is not explicitly set, therefore value is "Page B"

Issue Scenario:

• Page A loaded
      • eVarX set explicitly to "Page A"
  • Page B loaded (but doesn't finish loading)
    • no analytics triggered yet
  • Form completed by user
    • Trigger: Form Submit
      • eVarX maintains the last value, but is not explicitly set, therefore value is "Page A"
  • Page B (may have finished loading... or not, but if it does)
      • eVarX set explicitly to "Page B"

This is why for page related data (that doesn't need attribution), I always make my eVar Hit expiry, and explicitly set the value on every page and action.

I only use Visit attribution on data that I want to be maintain through the whole visit (or until over written), like external and internal campaigns.

Level 1

@Jennifer_Dungan  Thank you so much for the explanation. This was my expectation too that sometimes for page B page load request might trigger after Form Submissions CTA click hence assigning Page A as page value. 

The concern for me is that this issue is only in the scenario where a successful form signup was done. Sometime user also enter incorrect values and enter Sign up CTA and we track that too. Surprisingly, Page A does not show up for instances when incorrect values was entered and Form Submit CTA was clicked. 

Thanks

Animesh

Community Advisor

Do you have other actions on your page? If no form submission and no other actions then the delayed page view wouldn't be an issue.... It really only becomes an issue when the form is submitted (or any action is triggered) before the page has finished...  and the timing could literally be off by only fractions of a second (or more). 

A user entering wrong info could also mean that user is taking longer to fill out the form, and thus the timing could be okay?

I don't know how your Form CTA fits into the equation, but the timing issue might actually miss tracking those CTAs, making it look like the CTA use always works, when it fact it's missing the CTA completely....

Level 1

Agreed @Jennifer_Dungan , Thanks of ten update though. I will explore more on it.