Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Impressions of Teaser without decreasing Bounce Rate

Level 5

I am having an issue and I hope someone could help me out on this.

We would like to track impressions of teasers on the website but when the user loads our page and the pageview gets out. not all  Teasers are still available so that we might send those infos out with an extra stl. now this is the issue: the bounce rate would be decreasing due to this. I know GA has something called noninteraction, but how would it be possible to create a servercall without having this as an real action and the bounce rate would ignore such action.

Any Ideas on that?

I thought first to save this info and send it out on the next page but when a user really bounces there is no next page.

I hope someone is able to help me out on this.

Best

Laetizia

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I believe the scenario of a Page View with subsequent Custom Link hits (such as an impression) is already handled by the Out of the Box default bounce metric. From Adobe's documentation:

"Bounce Rate does not include visits where multiple actions occurred on a single page. For example, a visit with a video view on a single page is a Single Access but not a Bounce."

Also, take a look at the Single Page Visits metric which can also be used the calculate bounce rate where there are additional custom link beacons:

• Single Page Visits is defined as the number of visits with a single page view. If a visit consists of a single page view and multiple custom link image requests, it is still considered a Single Page Visit. When a second page view is seen in a visit, it is no longer considered a Single Page Visit.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi laetizia_2018

unfortunatelly Adobe Analytics has nothing similar to Googles "non-interactive" Server Call. that means as soon as you send an additional server call to track teaser impressions, you mess up the bounces.

But there are a few workarounds you can think about

1. delay page view tracking: basically you would wait with your pageview tracking until teaser are available. but any delay would increase the chance that the user bounces without any tracking at all
  2. Send on next regular server call: you already mentioned that solution with pros and cons...
  3. Leave as is: Send an additional server call for teaser tracking. you can tell business not to use regular "bounce metrics" but your calc metric instead. you could even disable the regular metric and just share your calc metric with everyone (just name your calc. metric the same as the original one...)

Level 5

but what about tracking the views in logfiles and later on getting them with datasources into Adobe?

Community Advisor

might be possible if every access is logged. but you might face at least 2 problems

1) maybe user caches the picture and not every access will be logged

2) if you upload the access bojnd to a visitor it is a server call (costs) and metric gets messed. but you could upload daily summary data which ore not bound to a single visitor...

Correct answer by
Level 4

I believe the scenario of a Page View with subsequent Custom Link hits (such as an impression) is already handled by the Out of the Box default bounce metric. From Adobe's documentation:

"Bounce Rate does not include visits where multiple actions occurred on a single page. For example, a visit with a video view on a single page is a Single Access but not a Bounce."

Also, take a look at the Single Page Visits metric which can also be used the calculate bounce rate where there are additional custom link beacons:

• Single Page Visits is defined as the number of visits with a single page view. If a visit consists of a single page view and multiple custom link image requests, it is still considered a Single Page Visit. When a second page view is seen in a visit, it is no longer considered a Single Page Visit.

Level 5

yeah Adobe is always counting a bounce when there where more than one servercall just like show in your scenario. I know I could complete this by using single acces/entries but I wish there would be a better solution like noninteraction from GA because that makes it more complicated to change all dashboards etc.

Level 5

but how could I get it by datasources mapeed with the visitor-ID? we are always tracking for all users an own visitor-ID also when not being loggedin.

Community Advisor

I recommend to ask this as a new question to get the right answer. I have no clue about that since we haven't used it yet, but I'm sure you'll get responses in a new question...

Employee Advisor

I would recommend following the 'send a link tracking call, then segment out those hits in a bounce rate calculated metric'. It would be the least overhead up front, and the least maintenance in the long run.