Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to make a segment that shows first time a page was seen by a unique visitor

Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to understand the amount of unique visitors who saw a specific page on my site for the first time, not within their 1st visit. How am I able to create a segment that would show me by unique visitor the amount of visitors who saw this page for the first time?

ex: Page A has 20,000 unique visitors, and x amount of those unique visitors visited for the first time.

Thanks,

C

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

This would require a large lookback window, since the number you're looking for requires the entire history of each visitor to be taken into consideration. In order to calculate if a user saw this page for the first time, we have to know that visitor's entire history (which could go back years).

There might be some hacky workarounds, but I don't think it's feasible to get an accurate measurement of this number currently.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

This would require a large lookback window, since the number you're looking for requires the entire history of each visitor to be taken into consideration. In order to calculate if a user saw this page for the first time, we have to know that visitor's entire history (which could go back years).

There might be some hacky workarounds, but I don't think it's feasible to get an accurate measurement of this number currently.

Level 5

But wouldnt Entry Page Original help? Isnt that dimension showing the first Entry Page of an user?

Employee Advisor

If the requirement was to only look at the very first entry page of a user, original entry page would work perfectly!

However, it looks like Courtney wants to look at the the visitor's entire history. The only way I would anticipate this would be possible is by adjusting implementation to the following:

• Every hit checks for a custom cookie with the page's value
  • If it exists, do nothing
  • If it does not exist, set a cookie value for the current page and fire a custom event (first time views)
  • In reporting, you can trend this custom event over time (all first time views) or by page