Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to avoid Tracking Link traffic being counted as typed/bookmarked

Level 2

We have been using tracking code + a referrer to classify traffic from advertising.  However, i know this is flawed particularly if a browser is blocking this.  However, the point was to avoid tracking this traffic if it was a bookmarked.  Someone could easily click on a banner ad, arrive on our site, and bookmark it, returning again and again.

I'm looking for a better way to classify this traffic without using referrer. Does anyone have any better ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unfortunately, due to many sites adding "noreferrer" directives onto their links... or if people copy the link and paste it into their browser (basically the user is coming from the site, but somewhat indirectly).... there is no way to distinguish a real referrer from those sites (missing referrer data) and people who have bookmarked those URLs.

I don't think most advertisers are setup to support post parameters, or custom header re-writing which would in theory allow information to be passed invisibly "behind the scenes" to your site... 

We're in a strange place right now... with the efforts to improve tracking, but also having to deal with overboard privacy concerns (like adding noreferrer directives to links.. ). I don't know if there is any "right" answer to this...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unfortunately, due to many sites adding "noreferrer" directives onto their links... or if people copy the link and paste it into their browser (basically the user is coming from the site, but somewhat indirectly).... there is no way to distinguish a real referrer from those sites (missing referrer data) and people who have bookmarked those URLs.

I don't think most advertisers are setup to support post parameters, or custom header re-writing which would in theory allow information to be passed invisibly "behind the scenes" to your site... 

We're in a strange place right now... with the efforts to improve tracking, but also having to deal with overboard privacy concerns (like adding noreferrer directives to links.. ). I don't know if there is any "right" answer to this...

Level 2

No worries, thanks for replying. i thought i would ask just in case. Over the years i have tweaked and tweaked these rules.  I was asked to add in the referrrer condition as a back up to prevent bookmarked traffic, but its literally had the opposite effect and categorised advertising that is advertising as direct. 

So, here we are.

Community Advisor

ouch.. If you are talking about Marketing Channels... I use a mix of rules... some that identify the referrer, then later rules that don't... so I ensure that specific identification like Ads which is really important is near the top and looking at all the possible info to ensure proper identification...

I'm still tweaking our rules to adjust to new things that people keep doing.. so I feel your pain.

Level 2

Completely, i use a mix also. i have my paid channels at the top with my lower being (internal, or self referrals as i call them) direct, and referral.

Community Advisor

Ok, that sounds like the right approach....

Without seeing the setup, I am not sure what might have caused the Advertising to show as Direct.. but it sounds like you got it back and working properly...