Expand my Community achievements bar.

How does setting a dimension to expire after a hit vs a visit impact reporting, specifically traffic metrics like visits, pageviews, instances, and occurrences?

Level 2

Can someone help provide an example of a dimension that expires after hit vs a dimension that expires after visit and how that impacts traffic metrics such as pageviews, instances, occurrences, and visits? I have an understanding of these traffic metrics but curious to understand what are the changes if we look at a dimension that expires after hit vs a visit.

In what cases would it make sense to set a dimension to expire after hit vs visit and vice versa?

4 Replies

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

I assume you're asking about evars specifically, because all props expire after the hit where they fire. But with evars you can change the expiry to be hit, visit, purchase, 30 days, etc. 

The difference for the expiry is how long the value is going to be remembered for. For example, say I'm capturing search term in an evar with a purchase expiry. I have one hit where the search term fires, then a product view, cart add, checkout, and place an order. Because the search term expires on the purchase, it will get credit for the search, product view, cart add, checkout, and order. If I have it set up as a hit expiry, it would get credit for the search and that's it, because then it would be forgotten once I move onto the next hit. 

When looking at something like page views (or visits) with evars, it will count all of the times it fired and when it persisted. So with our purchase expiry search term, it would get multiple page views associated with it (initial search, product view, cart view), but a hit level would only get the initial search.

As for what it makes sense to set evars as - that depends on how you want to report on them. Do you want to be able to attribute orders to different search terms or campaign IDs? Then you should set them to expire on purchase. Do you only want to see the initial number of searches conducted and don't care what they did after? Then you would use a hit. 

Best thing to do is take a step back, figure out what question you're trying to answer, and then think about what data you need to answer it. That will help you figure out how you should set up your evars.

Level 2

Thank you for providing this example. How does the credit for search term show up in reporting? 

Using your example, a user searches "product" , search term fires, then a product view, cart add, checkout, and place an order.

1)  In the case when evar has purchase expiry, would page views = 5 and visit = 1 for the search term "product"? 

2) How would a a prop with hit expiry differ? Would that be page views = 1 and visits =1 for the search term "product"? 

Level 7

considering the prior example, understanding is hit would expire right after 1 page view

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

All props expire on the hit they're set. So if your visit contains the pages: (assuming cart add is a page view here)

search > product view > cart add > checkout > order

And your search term prop/evar fires on search

Your search term prop will have page view = 1, search = 1

If you have a search term evar with a hit expiry, page view = 1, search = 1

If you have a search term evar with purchase expiry, page view = 5, search = 1, cart add = 1, order = 1.

If the value is persisted, it gets credit for everything that happens before it expires. Now, it does get a bit more complicated depending on the allocation, if it's last touch or something else. But generally that is how it works.