Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do I display 3 freeform tables-worth of data within one bar chart to compare each freeform table's data?

Level 2

I was wondering how to make a bar chart comparing data from 3 different freeform tables (each modeling a different section within 3 different websites)? Each freeform table has Site Section with page name as a breakdown (these are the dimensions). For my column of metrics, I have a custom date range and am tracking visits.

I want to display the breakdown of visits for these 3 different website sections in a bar chart and also display the amount of views combined across all 3. To display the breakdown, I have been trying to make the results from each freeform table into a segment and then pulling the 3 segments into another table to visualize. However, I can only select one-page worth of data results to pull into a segment (some of my freeform data results have 1,111 results and I can't find a way to include all of these results in the segments).

Do you know how to fix this or if there is an easier way to do this? (create segments for each of my 3 freeform tables to visualize each of their data side by side in a bar chart? And also add up the total visits across each freeform table within that bar chart?)

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

Maybe I am not fully understanding, but if you can have your data in separate tables without issues, why is creating segments to show the data in a single table to graph together causing an issue?

Your graph isn't going to show all the individual pages, so the combined table doesn't have to be as detailed as your individual tables, you can even hide the "combined table" that drives the visualization...

Level 2

Oh, I was able to figure it out! I was having issues because you can't use all results from a freeform table to create a segment as you can only see up to 400 results at a time and that's the max amount of data that could be included in your segment. I had wanted to create a segment from the freeform table.

I created a custom segment using the same advanced filters I had used to get data in the freeform table and it worked great.

Community Advisor

That makes sense... I rarely use that create segment option (mostly cause I don't want a bunch of ultra-specific segments clogging up my components list, lol)

I mostly create my own custom ad hoc segments.

Glad you figured it out!

Level 9

To be honest, I don't think you can do that in a single visualization (at least the sums will be a problem).

Question: are we talking about the "channel" dimension here or how do you define your site sections?

That might be the simplest way to visualize the data. Else, you may want to use classification rules or a custom value in an eVar/prop you can leverage.

For the aggregated values, you will likely still have to do a separate visualization like a summary number on the table headers?

The breakdowns by individual pages in these section I would leave aside for the moment, else it will get very messy, very quickly.

bjoern__koth_0-1720245754770.png

bjoern__koth_1-1720245901656.png

Community Advisor

I just wanted to say, if the segments are applied as columns, then the totals shouldn't be an issue.. if they are set as breakdowns yes, there may be a problem there (but not necessarily)   

For Instance, something like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1720289813622.png

Technically, with a non-inflating metric like Page Views, event the "Site Sections" breakdown could be replaced with segments to combine groups a sub-sections that fall under a single parent...

For instance, I have sports, sports|baseball, sports|basketball, sports|hockey, sport|baseball|opinions, etc

I could create a segment for all "sports" sections combined together, and all "news" together, and all "politics" together, etc (in order to keep my chart readable).

As you can see, I was able to use Segments in my breakdown area as well, with no detrimental impact:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1720290237397.png

We really need more information about what is being graphed and what the challenges are to offer more concrete solutions

Level 2

I see- but would there be a way to add up the 1.27M and 7.92M in a seperate box?

Community Advisor

Well, in Bjoern's case, one of those is Visits, the other is Page Views, so you likely wouldn't add those together... but if you are looking at the same metric (like in my example), I would create a "combined" segment, that pulls the total for all together... then I would either create a "Total" column, or if I just needed a Summary block, I would use the combined segment in a hidden table, and just show the summary.