Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How can I create a sequential segment that captures events that happen on the same page view?

Level 1

For example, I would like to create a segment that captures users that use the same Refinement Attribute multiple times on the same page. Essentially I want a segment that looks like the one in this image, but I would want it to be "Within 0 page views" so that it only captures instances of this happening on the same page. However, Adobe requires a minimum of 1 to be set with the "within" operator. Is there any way to only include things from the same page view?

dks0526367_0-1669732955047.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yeah, this seems tricky.. basically I think you are basically trying to get how many subsequent times people are using this feature on the page?

I am not sure if there is a good, non-convoluted way to segment this... if this is an important metric, maybe you should consider setting up a Counter eVar? I haven't used these much, I only started looking into this... but I wonder if on the page view you could set the eVar to 0, then on each use you can increment the eVar with "+1" (just double check that the eVar will take 0... we all know how that works in classifications...  as in not well)

So that if the user leaves the page, then comes back, the eVar will be reset to 0 and each use can be counted again?

Not sure if that covers your needs.....

Here is a little documentation on Counter eVars (basically a little bit in the table regarding eVat Type, and paragraph at the bottom of the page - I scanned quickly through the video, but I think it really only addresses persistence) https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/conversion-...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Can you re-post your image? It seems to have failed....

But my first instinct it to try to use "within 1 Hit" rather than within one page view... we may need to try adding some fancy exclude logic, but without seeing your desired outcome it's a bit hard to help at this time.

Level 1

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry about that, I edited the original post to include a proper image. 

Unfortunately I don't think "within x Hits" would work either, as there could be any number of hits on that page before the hit containing the repeat behavior for which I'm looking.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yeah, this seems tricky.. basically I think you are basically trying to get how many subsequent times people are using this feature on the page?

I am not sure if there is a good, non-convoluted way to segment this... if this is an important metric, maybe you should consider setting up a Counter eVar? I haven't used these much, I only started looking into this... but I wonder if on the page view you could set the eVar to 0, then on each use you can increment the eVar with "+1" (just double check that the eVar will take 0... we all know how that works in classifications...  as in not well)

So that if the user leaves the page, then comes back, the eVar will be reset to 0 and each use can be counted again?

Not sure if that covers your needs.....

Here is a little documentation on Counter eVars (basically a little bit in the table regarding eVat Type, and paragraph at the bottom of the page - I scanned quickly through the video, but I think it really only addresses persistence) https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/conversion-...

Level 1

Yea, I think that sounds like the best option here. Thankfully I don't think this is important enough to require that extra work, but it's good to know that there's an option if something like this comes up again in the future.

Thank you!

Community Advisor

You're welcome... though it would be nice to have some more segment logic options that would allow us to create rules like above, so that we don't have to add such specialized tracking to our implementations.....