Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Freeform Table values differ when swapping axes for Date Range and Dimension Selections

Level 3

Hi,

I was exploring in Analytics Workspace and noticed that the below tables produce different values when I put date ranges on rows than they do when I put dimension selection on rows. This surprised me and I don't know how to interpret the difference. Can anybody explain this to me? Thank you!

bhutton_0-1672876106181.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear bhutton,

Average time spent on a page is a deprecated metric, so try to use 'Average time spent on site' for the dimension (Here, page) and see if it is matching.

However, the way the average is calculated is always tricky because of the sequence of the dimension you add. So, try to add Year as a dimension rather than Time Period to validate as well.

Let me know the output after you try both options, if it is still not matching, let us take it forward.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear bhutton,

Average time spent on a page is a deprecated metric, so try to use 'Average time spent on site' for the dimension (Here, page) and see if it is matching.

However, the way the average is calculated is always tricky because of the sequence of the dimension you add. So, try to add Year as a dimension rather than Time Period to validate as well.

Let me know the output after you try both options, if it is still not matching, let us take it forward.

Level 3

Hi Arun,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the tables still do not match (see below).

bhutton_0-1672953949730.png

*note: Values are different from earlier screenshot due in part to the fact that 'Year' does not capture the fiscal years that I was originally working with.

It is good to know that I can use Avg Time on Site instead of Avg Time on Page going forward, though.

Thanks again,

Ben

Community Advisor

Dear Ben,

I am doing the same, but the numbers are matching for me.

PratheepArunRaj_0-1672996654196.png

Level 3

Hi again Arun,

That's strange. I tried replacing year with month because I couldn't think of what else I might be doing differently, still no luck.

bhutton_1-1673031956545.png

Thanks for taking the time to recreate on your end. I have a pending support ticket so hopefully we'll figure it out.

Best,

Ben