Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

For page name tracking, is eVar or prop recommended?

Level 4

We are seeing counts that are drastically different as one system is using eVar for page name tracking and another system is using prop for page name tracking. Regarding page name tracking, which is preferred, eVar or prop? Why?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Like most answers, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve...

I for one prefer to use a Hit Level eVar...

This ensures that only where I set the value, it will exist... but the eVar allows for 255 characters, which is more than the standard pageName will hold (truncated at 100).

I also send the pageName value on all my actions, so that I have full correlation to the page where the click/action is performed...

When I use the page view metric, it will match the original page counts, when I pair with occurrences, I will get ALL page views and clicks/actions; and when I pair it with specific custom events for specific actions, I will only get those actions.

If you have a different count, I am guessing you have a visit level expiry, and you are not setting the value all all pages (assuming you are using the page view metric)....

Example:

1. First Page View - prop and eVar are set to "Page 1"
  2. Click action tracked - no prop value, but eVar maintains "Page 1" value with occurrence metric
  3. Second Page View - prop and eVar as set to "Page 2"
  4. Third Page View - prop and eVar are not set... eVar will maintain "Page 2" value on this page view

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Like most answers, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve...

I for one prefer to use a Hit Level eVar...

This ensures that only where I set the value, it will exist... but the eVar allows for 255 characters, which is more than the standard pageName will hold (truncated at 100).

I also send the pageName value on all my actions, so that I have full correlation to the page where the click/action is performed...

When I use the page view metric, it will match the original page counts, when I pair with occurrences, I will get ALL page views and clicks/actions; and when I pair it with specific custom events for specific actions, I will only get those actions.

If you have a different count, I am guessing you have a visit level expiry, and you are not setting the value all all pages (assuming you are using the page view metric)....

Example:

1. First Page View - prop and eVar are set to "Page 1"
  2. Click action tracked - no prop value, but eVar maintains "Page 1" value with occurrence metric
  3. Second Page View - prop and eVar as set to "Page 2"
  4. Third Page View - prop and eVar are not set... eVar will maintain "Page 2" value on this page view