Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

First time and Repeat visitors not summing up as expected?

Level 3

Hello,

I am trying to understand the proportion of visitors to my site that complete a booking form that are:

first time visitors vs repeat visitors

I have a fallout chart for my visitors who have started an engagement with the booking form and then completed it. The number I get is 2,700 visitors, and the segment is defined as:

A Hit containing the URL of my webpage.

To understand the difference in-between first time and repeat visitors to my website who are completing this booking form, I add two more segments:

1) First time visitors: HIT containing the URL of my webpage AND Visit Number = 1

2) Repeat visitors: HIT containing the URL of my webpage AND Visit Number is greater than 1

For the first segment, I am getting 1989 visitors who completed the booking form and for the second segment I am getting 1453 visitors who completed the booking form. 

Evidently, the sum of these two numbers 3442 > 2700, but I do not understand why it isn't the same and why there seems to be some doubling up in the counting.

Here is an example of how the original segment is defined:

asdf12341z_1-1661841976697.png

and how the "First time visitor" segment is defined:

asdf12341z_0-1661841933527.png

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

One simple reason could be that you're using a "Visitor" scope for your fallout.

Recall that a visitor can have many visits. So depending on your date range (or even within the same day!), the same visitor could be both Visit Number = 1, i.e. had a first visit, and Visit Number != 1, i.e. had a return visit.

As a result, you can't simply add the Visitors metric from the 2 fallout charts. Instead, you have think of the two charts as a venn diagram, where there is an intersection between the two charts' data indicating Visitors who have had both first and repeat visits within the date range of your report.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

One simple reason could be that you're using a "Visitor" scope for your fallout.

Recall that a visitor can have many visits. So depending on your date range (or even within the same day!), the same visitor could be both Visit Number = 1, i.e. had a first visit, and Visit Number != 1, i.e. had a return visit.

As a result, you can't simply add the Visitors metric from the 2 fallout charts. Instead, you have think of the two charts as a venn diagram, where there is an intersection between the two charts' data indicating Visitors who have had both first and repeat visits within the date range of your report.