Expand my Community achievements bar.

eVar renaming

Level 1

Hi,

I've a quick question regarding eVar metrics.

We recently encounter a situation that some of eVars were renamed. For instance, we discovered that eVar `41.2` was renamed to `eVar 41.gender`

Can you confirm if eVar renaming is typically done by AdobeAnalytics or by individual customers?

Thank you!

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Where did you notice this renaming? And is this Adobe Analytics or CJA?

I only have experience with Analytics, but here is what I know:

Renaming eVars within Workspace can be done by anyone with admin rights, but this really should only impact Workspace Reports.. Sending data to Adobe in the original client side method should still be sent via "v#", and coming out in Raw Data feeds would still be "eVar#" and "Post_eVar#" - none of those sources change the identifier.

I also believe that the standard XDM Schema also would use the "identifier" and not the name.. however, if someone was using a custom schema where they used the names, that could have a large impact on how things work... if this is the case, it's likely someone with admin access making changes to the schema...

But understanding exactly what you are looking at would help us narrow down what might be happening... There may be a completely separate facet that I've missed.

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Building off the answer that Jen gave you, I also only have experience with Analytics and not CJA. 

If you go into the admin menu, click "logs", it will take you to the log of all the changes that happen to your report suite. You can search for the event where the evar name was changed, and it will show you the email associated with the account that changed it.

Only admins have permissions to make changes, but if you have a large amount of admins, it can be hard to know who did what. I've never encountered a situation where an evar name changed automatically, it's always been done by one of our admins. 

Level 1

Thank you Jennifer_Dungan and Mandy_George314! I appreciate your contributions. Your answers are truly helpful! My question was related to Adobe Analytics