Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Entry Rate = 100% and Exit Rate, Why?

Level 5

I am looking at a specifc page a and get 10% Entry Rate and 10% Exit Rate.

I made a segment on hitlevel for that page to get a better understandable name like page "Foto"

When I created a freefrom I got 100% Entry Rate and 100% Exit Rate for that segment. Why is this so?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Ahh, that makes perfect sense.

This is because segmentation filters out all other data as if it doesn't exist. If you have a segment where page = A, that means according to the segment, that's the only page that exists in your report. Since every hit in your segment was page A, you get 100% entry rate.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

Can you provide more details on the report you created, and the segment you used?

Entry dimensions are typically visit-based, meaning that they persist on the backend tables throughout the entire visit. This could be a possible explanation, but that completely depends on how you've built your workspace and segment.

Level 5

thanks a lot for your response, but I am not using entry page or exit page.

I am looking for a specific page caled foto123 and get 100 visits and 10 entries with 10% entry rate.

I wanted to rename the pagename by using a segment and the segment looks only for hitlevel for that page foto123.

When using this segment now as dimension with visits and entries and entry rate. I get 100 visits, 100 entries and 100% entry rate.

why is that so?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Ahh, that makes perfect sense.

This is because segmentation filters out all other data as if it doesn't exist. If you have a segment where page = A, that means according to the segment, that's the only page that exists in your report. Since every hit in your segment was page A, you get 100% entry rate.

Level 5

yeah but wouldnt it make sense to behave just like I would filter out a dimension. Because it makes it more complex to calculate your own entry rate again insetad of having the right one included

Employee Advisor

It wouldn't make sense for segments to behave like filters, because filters already fulfill that role in Analytics. If you don't want data excluded via segmentation, I'd recommend simply using a filter.

Level 5

But this is also happening for bounce rates. For example I would like to get a set of pages into s hitsegment how will I get the correct entry rate, exit rate and boucne rate in total? do I have to calculate it or what would be the best solution?

I hope to get a good advice on that!

I think this can get misguiding when trying to get an overview freeform but the values are not correct because it counts all together from the whole visit.

Best

Employee Advisor

You can either use a visit-level segment (so it pulls in the whole visit, not cherry-picking hits), or you can use the search filter.

You can also use segmentation to explicitly call out bounces so they would be the only visits in your report.

Level 5

do you have an example for that?

In my example I have page a and filter it out on hit level in a segment. Then I get 100% entry rate.

When looking the entries and visits it is the same amount and when doing a breakdown I see why I have the same amont of visits and entries because it includes all pages which had an entry during my visit on page a. So I still think this makes it too complicatde and not easy for users to work with. The same happens with Exit Rate and Bounce rate as well.

Employee Advisor

Use a search filter instead of a segment - it's the little funnel icon in the dimension header. Search filters show/hide data based on your filters instead of completely excluding the data like a segment.