Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Emails Through Eloqua

Level 2

Hi. We are sending marketing emails and capturing UTM string. I have few questions related to that:

1. When I'm making report in workspace the numbers I'm getting in marketing channel-Email are too less comparing to page URL link instances number.

2. Also we are sending emails through Eloqua and numbers in Eloqua are way higher then Marketing Channel Report.

3. The users are clicking on the link provided in email and then coming to the site. Here Eloqua is measuring click through's. What should I use dimension value against Email Report?(will it be Occurrences or Visits)?

Can you please guide what can I look for and what I'm missing? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What numbers are you comparing? Visits, Unique Visitors, something else? It might help to show screenshots of the report(s) that you're referring to.

Also, recall that Marketing Channels are evaluated with every hit. Consider a visitor who follows this journey in the same visit (i.e. no 30-minute break between each hit):

Email (Eloqua) link --> browse website --> Facebook link --> browse website --> search on Bing --> browse website

This visitor will have 3 Marketing Channels (email, social network, natural search) associated with that one visit, and the Marketing Channel dimension will default to reporting the last one, i.e. natural search.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Check if the link is working fine or not? If not, that might be the reason causing too many occurrences. If you want to look at the user level data, maybe look at visitor or unique visitor metrics, that will help!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What numbers are you comparing? Visits, Unique Visitors, something else? It might help to show screenshots of the report(s) that you're referring to.

Also, recall that Marketing Channels are evaluated with every hit. Consider a visitor who follows this journey in the same visit (i.e. no 30-minute break between each hit):

Email (Eloqua) link --> browse website --> Facebook link --> browse website --> search on Bing --> browse website

This visitor will have 3 Marketing Channels (email, social network, natural search) associated with that one visit, and the Marketing Channel dimension will default to reporting the last one, i.e. natural search.

Level 2

Here is the screenshot of page query string parameters which are used during email campaign:

GV16_0-1680877124402.png

If you can see page query Instances are around 6M. Now this is Marketing channel report during same period:

GV16_1-1680877279509.png

There is huge difference between numbers 

Community Advisor

You are comparing "instances" to "visits".. that could be accounting for a lot of the discrepancy...

Let's look at a simple example... all from your email:

1. User opens email (there may be multiple links in that email)

2. User clicks on link 1 (marketing channel is set for the visit, instance of the utm is also tracked)

3. User goes back to that email, clicks on the next link

4. User is still part of the same visit, those numbers won't increase, but you will be tracking a new UTM instance

If you want compare visits to visits, you could create a segment that looks for "Campaign Query String Instances" to exist, then stack that with Visits metric

As @yuhuisg mentioned, the user may be performing multiple actions in the same visit... email links, social media, natural search, etc... your Marketing Channel, will default to the last touch.

On top of that, your Marketing Channels have a longer expiry (it could be a week, it could be 30 days, it all depends on your set up.. you can also control which Marketing Channels don't overwrite previous values... by default, direct traffic is set to not override, but if your Email channel was set up like that (you would have to check), it might in theory not be set correctly...

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1680886682522.png

The reasoning for direct and internal to not override is that you want your actioned campaigns and drivers to maintain their values, that would included emails... but it's worth checking to be sure this is set up correctly)

Level 2

Thank You so much for taking time and replying to my question. So if I'm comparing page query string instances to Eloqua clickthrough it should match but Adobe's numbers are quite high now in comparison to Total Clickthrough's in Eloqua. What can be the reason for this?

GV16_0-1681154049148.png

While Eloqua Total Click Through's are:

GV16_1-1681154113059.png

Community Advisor

Maybe people are refreshing the page, or IF they open the email link, navigate to another page, then use their browser's back button (they will record in Adobe multiple times.. but not in your email system).

It's also possible that maybe only a single click is required, but if a user double-clicks in the email, that Eloqua could be de-duplicating that (but if multiple tabs are opened to the website - each with those params), Adobe will track all of them.

Trying to compare two different systems is like comparing apples and oranges... you cannot expect the numbers to match.. the best you can do is watch that the trends for the systems stay consistent with one another... if one system shows an increase, so should the other... and if one shows a decrease, again, they both should show that... if one goes up, and the other goes down... that's where you start to get concerned.