Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

DW - VisitorID

Level 2

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the VisitorID data we are collecting. I extracted VisitorID data from datawarehouse to see what data is being captured. The VisitorID returned varies from 18 characters to 39 characters with an underscore separating two values (the majority of entries are 34/35/39 characters). Can you explain what these values are?

Also the number of VisitorID entries returned were higher than both the Unique Visitor and Visit number for the same period, but less than the Page View number for the same period. So I am confused as to what metric these values are being set against.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Gary,

visitorID in data warehouse is the concatenated values of post_visid_high and post_visid_low, two columns stored in a report suite's raw data tables. The combination of these two columns provides the main source of identifying a unique visitor, however it is not the only method. Custom visitorID's can be used, as well as using a combination of IP address and user agent if a visitorID cookie cannot be set.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

Hi Gary,

It seems your original issue would need an in-depth analysis on how the Visitor ID is being populated. Here is an article which will give you information to start progressing in a positive direction:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/visid_overview.html

Please let us know in case you have any further query.

-Kaushal

Level 10

Hi Gary,

Could you tell me what information you are capturing as Visitor ID in your conversion variable? Is it an email, campaign id or transaction id etc? 

Regards,

TM

Level 2

Hi Tanmay,

We don't collect VisitorID in a conversion variable currently. We cannot see VisitorID in Reports & Analytics, it only appears in datawarehouse reports.

Gary

Level 10

Hi Gary,

Visitor ID is a dimension which is supported only in Data Warehouse. Please have a look at the link - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_compatibility.html

Regards,

TM

Level 2

Thanks Tanmay (I think that link was for segment compatibility?) I did extract data from datawarehouse in order to view the Visitor ID. If Visitor ID is an out of the box measure, one which we didn't alter in intial implementation, which data points does it reference as the ID appears to have many different character lengths?

Gary

Level 10

Hi Gary,

Could you post some screenshots of your issue? I think i might have misunderstood.

Thanks for your patience! 

Regards,

TM

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Gary,

visitorID in data warehouse is the concatenated values of post_visid_high and post_visid_low, two columns stored in a report suite's raw data tables. The combination of these two columns provides the main source of identifying a unique visitor, however it is not the only method. Custom visitorID's can be used, as well as using a combination of IP address and user agent if a visitorID cookie cannot be set.