Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Difference in Numbers

Level 1

There's a difference in the numbers between the overall average and monthly average:

_Anonymous__0-1660652074484.png

Why is this the case??

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @_Anonymous_ 

Have you pulled this report for multiple months? If yes, this is expected.

If the report is pulled for one month and therefore we see the difference in average, then it's something to investigate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @_Anonymous_ 

Have you pulled this report for multiple months? If yes, this is expected.

If the report is pulled for one month and therefore we see the difference in average, then it's something to investigate.

Level 1

But why is it expected? How do you mean? Is there a technical explanation I'm missing?

Community Advisor

When you take multiple months of data, obviously each month would have it's own average (I'm assuming that you are using time spent metrics, and ones with 'average').

So, if you consider multiple months data, taking an average of all months, then overall average will be different from avg that we see on each month.

However, if you take data for one month, then overall average and monthly average must match.

Example 1: Considering data for 3 months: Jan-March, 2022

Overall Average - 40 seconds

1.  Jan - 50 seconds
  2. Feb - 40 seconds
  3. Mar - 30 seconds

Example 2: Considering data for 1 month only: Jan, 2022

Overall Average - 50 seconds

1. Jan - 50 seconds

More info here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en