Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Custom Link Tracking and Submit Button

Level 1

Hi Friends , 

There is a difference of >20% in the metrics given out by the link tracking of a submit button and the thank you page following it. Both of these are a part of a simple form. 

D -> Link Name -Submit , Metrics -> Instances  >> D -> Pages Report(thank you page), Metrics -> Page Views ; The difference is more than 20% 

D -> Link Name -Submit , Metrics -> Visits << D -> Pages Report(thank you page), Metrics -> Visits ; The difference is more than 20% 

This is very weird. Am i using the metrics the right way?

What could be the possible reasons?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hello, 

Here is my perspective on your query: 

Metrics usage seems to be fair & below are possible reasons for your observation.

D -> Link Name -Submit , Metrics -> Instances  >> D -> Pages Report(thank you page), Metrics -> Page Views ; The difference is more than 20% 

Probable reason - Submit instances may be higher in case you are tracking the link for client side form errors (mandatory field not filled, incorrect field format entry) & server side errors (page not found on Submit click)

D -> Link Name -Submit , Metrics -> Visits << D -> Pages Report(thank you page), Metrics -> Visits ; The difference is more than 20% 

Probable Reason - Visits may be higher for thank you page in case visitor is accessing this page directly (in a separate visit) via a book-mark URL or using browser back button to reach thank you page.

You may want to capture a serialize event on thank you page for accurate measurement of form submissions...

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Saurabh Kumar.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hello, 

Here is my perspective on your query: 

Metrics usage seems to be fair & below are possible reasons for your observation.

D -> Link Name -Submit , Metrics -> Instances  >> D -> Pages Report(thank you page), Metrics -> Page Views ; The difference is more than 20% 

Probable reason - Submit instances may be higher in case you are tracking the link for client side form errors (mandatory field not filled, incorrect field format entry) & server side errors (page not found on Submit click)

Probable Reason - Visits may be higher for thank you page in case visitor is accessing this page directly (in a separate visit) via a book-mark URL or using browser back button to reach thank you page.

You may want to capture a serialize event on thank you page for accurate measurement of form submissions...

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Saurabh Kumar.