Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Creating a segment using a calculated metric for Average Time Spent on Site

Level 1

I would like to segment out the number of visitors who spent more than 20% of the average time on site during the month.

For example, the average time on site for June was 3.53 minutes (or 3:32) and we had 65,000 visitors. Of those 65,000 visitors, how many of them spent 0.71 minutes (or :43) OR MORE on the site (which is 20% of the average)?

I created a calculated metric (see attached), but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. So first I need help figuring out the correct calculated metric.

Once the calculated metric is created, how do I create a segment using that calculated metric? I don't see it as an option with the tools I have available.

FYI, I only have access to Reports & Analytics (not Ad Hoc Analysis or Report Builder). I appreciate your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

If you have access to Datawarehouse you could extract "Visitor ID" and "total seconds spent" for a month. Then you can calculate average time spent and calalculate the % of visitors above 20% of that average time (Excel). This should be fairly easy but doesn't give you a segment.

It might get problematic if you have a lot of unique visitors (+/- 1 million)  because of the file size. But I don't see an option with the other tools, maybe others do.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Dani,

First of all, currently the functionality of using calculated metrics into segments are not possible, however you can use segment into calculated metrics.

Talking about the scenario where you want to calculate average time spent on site, unfortunately we can't get the average time spent on site to this granular level.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Ankit Sharma

Level 1

To be clear, I cannot create a calculated metric to understand what 20% of the average time on site is? If that is correct, is what I'm trying to accomplish possible using one of the other Analytics tools (Ad Hoc Analysis or Report Builder)?

Thanks!

Dani

Correct answer by
Level 3

If you have access to Datawarehouse you could extract "Visitor ID" and "total seconds spent" for a month. Then you can calculate average time spent and calalculate the % of visitors above 20% of that average time (Excel). This should be fairly easy but doesn't give you a segment.

It might get problematic if you have a lot of unique visitors (+/- 1 million)  because of the file size. But I don't see an option with the other tools, maybe others do.