Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Conversion variables

Level 6

I just created a new report suite and I noticed that there are 4 conversion variables as default. I am wondering evar1 has to be used as Internal Campaign? Since I have some existing report suites and we used eVal1 for other purpose. In this case, should I change the old setting or align with our other suite setting and change eVar1 to other things?  Thanks

Internal CampaignMost Recent (Last)VisitText StringEnabled
Internal Search TermsMost Recent (Last)VisitText StringEnabled
Custom eVar 3Most Recent (Last)VisitText StringEnabled
Custom eVar 4Most Recent (Last)VisitText StringEnabled
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

1. There is no best practices as far as I know.

2. It is a broad question:

• You can name an eVar report as you wish, but if you do not sent the correct value at the code level then the wrong values will be in the report
    • when you put in the code s.eVar1 = "value", it simply tells the AppMeasurement.js library to create an adobe analytics server call and append v1=value to the image request url. Once the server call is received by analytics servers a set of processing are applied. The server will parse the url and assign values based on the query param so v1 will go to eVar1 report.
    • There is no persistence at the code level, it is all done server side. So if you say that evar1 needs to expire after 30 days, the specific value that you send initially might not persist for 30 days if a new value is send in the meantime, the new value will overwrite the first one and the persistence will be reset to 30 days.
    • When you decide that evar1 should not track Internal campaigns but lets say logins, you will need to update your code to send the login values. If you do not rename the report the login values will still be reported even if the report name is not login. It is best practice that you update the report name to it purpose.

3. Documentation links:

In terms of video implementation:

• there are 2 types:
    • Video Heartbeat: should be used
    • Video Milestone - old implementation
    • You should use video heartbeat as it is being actively developed and video milestone might be sunset at some point
    • I wrote a wiki on how to implement Video Milestone with solution variables in Adobe Analytics V15 : link
      • Video Milestone was poorly ported to V15, so I wrote a guide to take advantage of the most of the solutions variables.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 1

You need not to change the existing report suites eVar 1. You can use & define an eVar for any purpose & modify the one which got auto created in new suite.

Adobe enables few eVars by default for your reference when you create a report suite. These eVars do not hold the data until you start sending via implementation.

Community Advisor

When you create a report suite some reports are enabled by default. All eVarX, propX and eventX can be configured as you wish and you can change the report names at will.

It could be that you used a template when you created the report suite that has eVar1 and eVar2 configured as per your screenshot that is why you would have seen this naming.

Level 6

I didn't use any special template. I just used default.

Then I have 3 questions:

1. Is there any best practice for eVar usage?  For example, 1-10 for traffic 20-30 for search term? Something like this? Then this will be really helpful to understand the setup from one report suite to another. We will start to setup eVars for third party company. which eVar rang will be good to use for this purpose?

2. I really like to know more about how adobe track and save standard metric/dimensions. For example, once I enable to track the campaign, will adobe try to sane internal Campaign data to eVal1? If I change eVal1 to something else, do I need to setup something to let Adobe know?

3. I always feel confuse about the standard value adobe provide ( no need to use customer variable to track ). Do you know any good document list out which standard metrics / dimensions I can get from adobe. I did noticed that before if we want to track video, I will need to use eVars. then recent version provide option to use Solution variables or custom variable. I assume that the solution variable is a internal variable. So in the case, then we can free several custom variables. In order to do that, how should I connect the previous eVar to current solution variable?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

1. There is no best practices as far as I know.

2. It is a broad question:

• You can name an eVar report as you wish, but if you do not sent the correct value at the code level then the wrong values will be in the report
    • when you put in the code s.eVar1 = "value", it simply tells the AppMeasurement.js library to create an adobe analytics server call and append v1=value to the image request url. Once the server call is received by analytics servers a set of processing are applied. The server will parse the url and assign values based on the query param so v1 will go to eVar1 report.
    • There is no persistence at the code level, it is all done server side. So if you say that evar1 needs to expire after 30 days, the specific value that you send initially might not persist for 30 days if a new value is send in the meantime, the new value will overwrite the first one and the persistence will be reset to 30 days.
    • When you decide that evar1 should not track Internal campaigns but lets say logins, you will need to update your code to send the login values. If you do not rename the report the login values will still be reported even if the report name is not login. It is best practice that you update the report name to it purpose.

3. Documentation links:

In terms of video implementation:

• there are 2 types:
    • Video Heartbeat: should be used
    • Video Milestone - old implementation
    • You should use video heartbeat as it is being actively developed and video milestone might be sunset at some point
    • I wrote a wiki on how to implement Video Milestone with solution variables in Adobe Analytics V15 : link
      • Video Milestone was poorly ported to V15, so I wrote a guide to take advantage of the most of the solutions variables.

Hope it helps.