Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Cohort Analysis - #Unique Users & #Actions

Level 2

Hi everyone!

I have been using the cohort analysis to understand the user's journey in our app.

I want to know how many users visit a specific screen in our app (ie: paywall) after a specific period.

I select the user who open the app for first time (Segment: First Time Visit) in Month "x"  and the time period "Last full 6 months".

Then, select for Inclusion and Return criteria, metric=Visits and in the Dimensions the screen I want to measure, in this case Dimensions=Paywall.

Note: it is very unfortunate that Adobe limit the granularity to not longer than 15 days (rows), I guess this is a limitation on the tool.

However, I select monthly granularity, I get  the breakdown of how many user visit the Paywall screen break in the last 6 months.

My questions:

• According my understanding, the numbers show the number of unique users who visited the the Paywall screen every month. Is this right?
  • If this is right, how can I know how many time this page was visited every month by this selected cohort?
  • How can I know the unique number of user  from this cohort who visited the Paywall screen after 6 months?

Thanks for your help

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Rubio,

The cohort is primarily used to understand retention. How many unique visitors visited the paywall page (meeting return criteria) every month based on the granularity.

Based on the below request from you, don't use Cohort Custom Dimension rather just using one more segmentation with screens equals paywall.

Now you know which month unique visitors are returning to your website based on the return criteria so that you can understand the retention based on months. If any of the months have more retention, you can deep dive to know what has happened.

Now, here are the answers to your question:

1. Yes, starting from the month you have selected.

2. Cohort will not answer you on this.

3. Increase your limit more.

Thank You,

Pratheep Arun Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Rubio,

The cohort is primarily used to understand retention. How many unique visitors visited the paywall page (meeting return criteria) every month based on the granularity.

Based on the below request from you, don't use Cohort Custom Dimension rather just using one more segmentation with screens equals paywall.

Now you know which month unique visitors are returning to your website based on the return criteria so that you can understand the retention based on months. If any of the months have more retention, you can deep dive to know what has happened.

Now, here are the answers to your question:

1. Yes, starting from the month you have selected.

2. Cohort will not answer you on this.

3. Increase your limit more.

Thank You,

Pratheep Arun Raj

Level 2

Hi Pratheep,

Thanks for your reply.

I know the cohort analysis can is mainly use for retention, however it is fine analysis to understand user journey in an app, and user engagement measured by other KPI than app open (you mention website in your answer).

In this video, Adobe explains how you can use cohort analysis with other metrics, like Orders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7qcMdKB6I

With this said, I already used the solution of creating a segment, and it is insufficient because a number of reasons:
- Doesn't show the first-time launch users engaged with the event/metric that I want to use to measure the engagement. Instead, it shows the total number of user in the cohort, not matter if they completed the returning action. 
- It doesn't show a unique users metric. If the data is broken down by month, a user can be counted several time (+1 month, +2 month, etc). Instead of only the first time.

- It counts the users, but not the events. In the video that I include, it counts users with an order, but not the number of orders by month.

As far as I can see, these are limitation of Adobe Analytics to measure App engagement.

Kind regards

Gustavo