Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Can we tell that a specific custom link click led to purchase?

Level 6

We are tracking specific link under custom link and we wanted to see how that has impacted purchases or revenue. For example after clicking that link how many placed an order. Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Normally, you'd use an eVar (with Most Recent allocation and Purchase expiration) to track that link, e.g. track the link's name to the eVar. Then, run a report freeform table with that eVar as your dimension and "Transactions" / "Orders" as your metric.

The downside is that you could be tracking more than one link with that eVar, but you really only want to report on just one particular link. In that case, you could have one eVar that just tracks that one particular link (which is kinda ridiculous, but hey, it's pretty much guaranteed to work for your specific use case).

On the other hand, I don't know if one specific link is all that special to your overall purchase conversions. You might find that having a Linear allocation for that eVar could yield some pretty interesting results of your users' path to purchase.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Normally, you'd use an eVar (with Most Recent allocation and Purchase expiration) to track that link, e.g. track the link's name to the eVar. Then, run a report freeform table with that eVar as your dimension and "Transactions" / "Orders" as your metric.

The downside is that you could be tracking more than one link with that eVar, but you really only want to report on just one particular link. In that case, you could have one eVar that just tracks that one particular link (which is kinda ridiculous, but hey, it's pretty much guaranteed to work for your specific use case).

On the other hand, I don't know if one specific link is all that special to your overall purchase conversions. You might find that having a Linear allocation for that eVar could yield some pretty interesting results of your users' path to purchase.

Level 6

Its not evar its tracked under "Custom link". I guess it behaves more of evar? I dont know if we have expiration for custom link.ex.png

Community Advisor

Well, my suggestion was to setup a new eVar to track the link.

The built-in Custom Link dimension isn't exactly suitable for you for the reason that you see in your screenshot: it really acts like a traffic variable ("prop"), so it can't be used to report with downstream conversions in the way that eVars are designed to.

Community Advisor

Well, yes, new eVar would help, but in it's absence, using attribution modelling works.. and if the eVar is shared with other links, attribution modelling is still required.

Community Advisor

As @yuhuisg mentioned, you should be able to use a linear attribution model on "Orders" to get an association to your custom link value.

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1667318297884.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1667318305398.png

Level 6

Well that's what I thought initially but still wanted to confirm.