to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

Bounce rate varies for hit segments vs dimension values

_bel_
Level 4
Level 4

My org has had a few instances of URL paths and/or page names changing globally, so I rely a lot on hit-level segments to replace dimension tables. Something I've noticed is that entries, and therefore bounce rate, does not act as expected in this scenario. When I use a segment that is hit-based with simple (URL = xx or URL = xx2) to combine the pre- and post-change URLs, it gives entries = visits. Looking at the same URLs in a dimension table, the entries is equal to the number of entries on that URL. 

I understand the mechanics behind why this is happening, technically each occurrence of URL = xx did have an entry, but that's not the entry I'm looking for if I'm using a hit-based segment. This behavior feels off to me and I'm wondering if (aside from creating my own bounce rate metric that doesn't rely on entries) there's a solution or workaround.

hitsegmentbouncerate.png

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies
vibhatna
Level 5
Level 5

@_bel_ ,

The segment you created is on Hit level but the Entries metric works on Visit level. So let's say the segment you created with definition evar1=Citizen(Hit level). if you apply Entries metric next to this segment it will show the all the values of that evar for that particular visit.

Segment:

vibhatna_1-1634307219913.png

Breakdown segment with the dimension used in the segment:

vibhatna_0-1634307182614.png

Here you can see all the values of the visit when evar1 was set as Citizen as an Entry.

_bel_
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you @vibhatna, as mentioned I do understand what is happening. I am saying this does not seem like expected (or desired) behavior for a hit-based segment. A hit-based segment should report the same analytics metrics as that dimension itself in a table. 

I am also asking if there is a solution to report entries/bounce rate for hit segments, given this behavior is not what I need.