Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Average time to go from one page to another page?

Level 2

How do you create a segment that will show you the average time it takes to go from one to another? As and example, what is the average time that it takes customers to go from the product page to the checkout page?  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can use the built-in metric, Average Time Spent on Site, to report this. Build a table with your Page as the dimension and this Average Time Spent on Site as the metric.

Despite its name, this metric is really reporting the time spent between dimensional values. See its definition under "'Time spent' metrics" at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en .

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can use the built-in metric, Average Time Spent on Site, to report this. Build a table with your Page as the dimension and this Average Time Spent on Site as the metric.

Despite its name, this metric is really reporting the time spent between dimensional values. See its definition under "'Time spent' metrics" at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/time-spent.html?lang=en .

Level 2

Yuhuisg,

Thanks for the info. I tried that for the two pages I'm interested in and for YTD, I get a total of 17 seconds. 7 seconds for the first page, and 10 seconds for the 2nd page.  Does this mean that on average it takes customers only 7 seconds to go from the first page to the second page?  

Community Advisor

It means that on average, it takes customers only 7 seconds to go from the first page to another page. I'm stressing "another page" because the Average Time Spent on Site is calculated as the time difference between the timestamps of 2 values.

Note also that if users exit your site from that first page, then AA won't include that when calculating the time spent, because there is no next hit for it to calculate a time difference. So if your first page has a high exit/bounce rate, then the Average Time Spent on Site calculation will definitely be affected by that behaviour.

Level 2

Thanks for the clarification. Does this mean that the segments I created to identify both pages need to be set at the Hit level instead of at the Visit level? Currently they are set at the Hit level and that is where the 7 seconds is being calculated from. 

Community Advisor

Segments return a filtered set of data that meet your segment's conditions. Then, the Average Time is calculated on that filtered set.

A visit-level segment would include more data points than a hit-level segment, so the Average Times would be different for both segments. Which one is "correct" ultimately depends on the question that you're trying to answer.

Level 2

Yuhuisg, I meant to click your reply as correct but clicked mine be mistake. Is there anyway I can change that? 

Community Advisor

yuhuisg_0-1660315969083.png

Click your solution's 3-dot menu at top-right of the post, then choose "Unmark as Correct Reply".