We have implemented the Payment method using Adobe launch and it's capturing the payment methods like visa, master... and unspecified. When we drill down the analytics, under Unspecified there are transaction ID captured and we checked the payment gateway, the ID is mapped to visa/master etc.
1) shouldn't be the payment method be captured correctly since transaction ID is captured? All the payment methods are captured based on the payment gateway setup.
2) is this got to do with Cookies disabled ? or privacy login ?
3) how can I resolve the unspecified issue?
AA example :
Payment method Revenue
Payment Method isn't a standard dimension.. How are you capturing this information? Are you tracking this into a dimension on the payment complete? Are you using Classifications to map transaction ids to payment methods?
There could be many possible reasons, but you are going to help us first to understand what and how you are collecting this information so that we can offer suggestions for places to look at why you may be getting unspecified.
Hi @Jennifer_Dungan ,
We implemented by creating a Data element - data layer payment mode, then used the mapping table to link the payment mode. The passing of the payment mode worked through the implementation with the rules set upon payment confirmation is made. We have the visa, mastercard etc payment mode but Unspecific pops up and when we add a dimension "transaction id" it shows the id and we also checked the payment, it went through was visa, mastercard etc.
This is most likely an implementation issue, either with the way your data element is capturing the payment method value, or with how your payment gateway is returning the payment method to your website.
Try to see if there's a pattern with those transaction IDs that have an unspecified payment method. Perhaps they're being tracked from mobile devices, or from some other website, or something else.
I agree, this looks like an issue with implementation... possibly an intermittent issue that could be hard to track down...
Mobile Devices is a good possibility, I would also check for patterns around Browser or OS usage. Do you have mobile apps? Is it possible that something is failing there? Or maybe a new payment method such as Paypal or ApplePay, etc was introduced to the website and it passes the information back differently.
Hi @yuhuisg ,
I was breaking down the data set :
Mobile Device type > > Browser type
Mobile Phone > > Apple, Google etc
Are browsers blocking cookie on device, or are the version of the browser affecting the tracking ?
Based on what you've shown, it looks like this affects users who browse your website on a mobile device only. Perhaps something has been programmed wrongly in the mobile version of the website such that the payment method isn't being set properly in the data layer.
That could certainly happen. I've had experience with payment gateways that work differently in desktop vs mobile, and the developers had to be aware of the differences to get the required tracking data, including the payment method.
This could be something for you to look into with your developers.
I don't think it's a case of tracking being blocked, otherwise you wouldn't get any data at all from mobile.
Those desktop ones could be "edge cases", i.e. few and far between, assuming that the percentage of all desktop orders is very small. I'd still focus on mobile, if that is the vast majority.