Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

0 pageviews Visit 1

Level 2

Hi guys!

I am seeing a very weird issue in my DW report. I am getting more than a 1k of rows which is giving me a visit of 1 for 0 pageviews!! How is that possible?

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

It is difficult to answer for certain without further information on the specific DW report request, but custom link calls can increment a visit without page views.

Reference Link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/web-analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

Custom Link Tracking does not count a page view.
I already mentioned this, but it warrants mentioning again here. This means that you will not see any data in your Pages report due to Link Tracking data. Your report suite page view totals will not change when custom link data is passed. However, Custom Link Tracking does count visits and visitors. Thus, it is possible to have more visits than page views. I have seen this in rare cases for sites that rely very heavily on this feature.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

It is difficult to answer for certain without further information on the specific DW report request, but custom link calls can increment a visit without page views.

Reference Link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/web-analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

Custom Link Tracking does not count a page view.
I already mentioned this, but it warrants mentioning again here. This means that you will not see any data in your Pages report due to Link Tracking data. Your report suite page view totals will not change when custom link data is passed. However, Custom Link Tracking does count visits and visitors. Thus, it is possible to have more visits than page views. I have seen this in rare cases for sites that rely very heavily on this feature.

Best,

Brian

Level 6

go to one of the pages. run the debugger and see if pagename is set. Are all the variables you think are supposed to be sent getting sent? if not then it might be s.tl() call instead of s.t() call.

how big is the request string. is it getting truncated somehow? most browsers will allow over 2K characters (some old IE browsers have small limits).

look at the request in 'developer tools' network tab in your browser. How does it unwrap the request? is pagename= set with something correct? if your page names start with & you have no page name...

if you can modify your s_code find an unused variable and add in a line of code to copy pagename into that variable (and you can also dynamically populate with 

D=pageName

so in your s_code:

s.propxx="D=pageName";

and

s.propyy=s.pageName;

after you set the s.pagename variable

use persistence in your network tab to make sure you see all the calls made to adobe. filter on your trackingserver value to find just the analytics calls. 

[also remember to clean up your propxx and propyy once you solve your problem. Also turn those variables on in the admin console so they collect data, probably in your development suite]

Also in the 'error' tab look when the page loads if some error occurs during your sending of the analytics data to adobe. Or if the requests get canceled before they get sent.

Level 3

This is a good example of what happens when you have questionable implementation.  It's hard to make sense in reporting from something that doesn't make sense from the implementation perspective.