Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

The Scoop

Level 10

Back in January 2018, needing a simple way to keep up with what's going on in the growing number of Workfront environments that I manage, I invented a new Workfront Dashboard called The Scoop.

The Scoop includes charts by Project and User of user-entered Notes within the past 1, 2, 4, 8, 24, and 48 hours; the past 7 weeks; and a filterable version of the entire history.

Flip any chart to its details tab to see a concise summary of the notes, with heat themed color-codes: from Hot Pink if entered within the last hour to Icy White if more than a week old. Well, after field testing and refining it for the last two months, I am VERY pleased with the results. I have NEVER felt as connected and up to date with what's happening in Workfront as I have using The Scoop!

So! In the interest of gaining some valuable feedback (and good Karma), I have decided to make The Scoop available to everyone in this Community who would like to use it via a Workfront Package on our website here.

At your convenience, I invite you to use this 3 minute video to learn about and install The Scoop , which should take 15 minutes or less. Once you have it installed, I welcome your feedback either via this thread or directly to me via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com.

Regards,

Doug

4 Replies

Level 10
Doug When I run the reports on all time variations I get: "Whoa there... This report returned A LOT of data which makes the chart unreadable. Consider narrowing your results by adding a filter or changing the groupings in your chart." I shamelessly volunteer to be a guinea pig. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 10
Aha! Thanks Michael, From the message, I suspect that the "By Project By User" grouping returns too much data for this type of chart. Mulling over your observation further, I suspect that tuning The Scoop for your own Workfront instance is a good idea, since (in general): big, busy environments (such as yours) might be " too hot " for The Scoop's default setting, returning too much data to render newer environments (you know who you are) might be " too cold " for The Scoop's NOTEs driven reports and return next to no data; however (as regular readers might nod at knowingly and smile), our "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=151&MessageKey=ca5e7ae0-4cbe-49f6-ad4c-8bbcdf17f683&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer">Nessie DNA Reactivation solution can remedy that situation... small to medium size instances of a certain vintage where there are typically 0 to 30 user entered updates on any given day, are " just right ", and yield a fairly comfortable set of data at that Project / Owner level. That said: no matter what the temperature of your Workfront environment you're in, I suspect there's a combination of filters, groupings and/or prompts that will ensure The Scoop renders properly, and ensures it is of value. I'll take a look and see what I can tune in your case (e.g. simply By Project, or - last resort - a Pie Chart) and let you know what I come up with. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Hi Michael, As is often my lot, it took longer to think about what might be the problem that to spot and apply the obvious answer: to avoid the "Woah..." error on any chart on The Scoop dashboard, simply remove the grouping on the chart . In your case, noticing that the 1 hour and 2 hour were both rendering fine, I removed the grouping on the 4, 8, 24, and 48 hour reports, as well as the 7 day (but left it on the Prompt version) -- 30 seconds each, to "tune". The Scoop dashboards now renders completely as expected, and (If I may say so) is an impressive rainbow of a much-used Workfront environment. One of the beauties of The Scoop, if I've not pointed it out yet, is that it's entirely based on Workfront objects: once you've deployed our Workfront Package into your environment, you can copy, tune, tweek, adjust, and morph to your heart's content. Rather than a "Project Rainbow", you might decide to Group by Project then by Project Status (for meaningful, predictable, "Woah.."-free charting), or Filter only for Current Projects due this month, or to default the bigger Charts to also require a prompt. Have at 'er, and share what you learn: this is the experiment part I mentioned! The only caveat I'd suggest, in case at a later date you decide to install The Scoop 2.0 (whatever that turns out to be) is that if you do decide to adjust our version, rename it, so your carefully laid plans are not inadvertently overwritten (by name) by such a future reinstall. Thanks again for giving The Scoop a try, and keep me posted on what you end up Tuning! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Just a quick update about The Scoop: First, thank you to those who followed along with the video and deployed The Scoop into your environments; I'd appreciate hearing how it goes for you, and whether you need a hand or have suggestions Second, our logs suggest that a few others started to follow along (e.g. set up an account and/or a connection, but haven't yet completed the deploy), so if you're one of them and have any questions or concerns , please feel free to drop me a line Finally, (although practically speaking this item likely only applies to my other Workfront Partner colleagues...hmm...and Workfront itself), some might find it interesting that I created a Super Scoop today that shows The Scoop dashboard from each of my active clients in one gloriously long web page, and since my iPhone is smart enough to automatically log into each environment, I can merrily scroll up and down at any time to see what's going on across all of them...as I blow the lid off my monthly cellphone data plan (meh: every silver lining has a cloud). It is pretty cool, though. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads