Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Journey Optimizer Community Lens 6th edition is out.
SOLVED

How to check who opened an email?

Level 1

Apologies if this is an obvious question, I'm new to AJO and it seems to lack a lot of basic functionality I'd expect from an email platform. Hopefully it's just me...

We have sent our first email out of AJO, in the reporting there are some basic metrics but I can't see an obvious way to tell who has actually opened or even received the email. How do I get a breakdown of the actual contacts and what they did with the email?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JPSFF There is no direct way to figure it out from UI. Need to use query service to analyze the info .

interaction data (opens/clicks) available in Email Tracking Experience Event Dataset, sent and bounce data available in Message Feedback Event Dataset. profile navigation in a journey across different steps available in Journey Step Events Dataset

checkout  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/journey-optimizer/using/data-management/datasets/datasets-qu... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

@JPSFF, Have a look at this documentation to understand the different metrics provided in the email.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/journey-optimizer/using/reporting/global-report/journey-glob... 

Thanks, Sathees

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JPSFF There is no direct way to figure it out from UI. Need to use query service to analyze the info .

interaction data (opens/clicks) available in Email Tracking Experience Event Dataset, sent and bounce data available in Message Feedback Event Dataset. profile navigation in a journey across different steps available in Journey Step Events Dataset

checkout  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/journey-optimizer/using/data-management/datasets/datasets-qu... 

Level 1

Hi @Anuhya-Y , thanks for the information about the Datasets. I could find the information I needed in the datasets you mentioned. However, there is one field missing that is making my analysis useless. Each delivery or campaign has a unique ID in the "messageExecutionID" field. The thing is that I couldn't find a field that actually associates that ID with the Campaign Name. I want to visualize for instance the opens of "US_Registration_WelcomeEmail" and not "UMS_17287493". 

Thanks in advance!

Community Advisor

Hello @JPSFF 

There is no direct way to get a list of customers who opened an email, but you can create a segment to get this audience in case you want to send them a follow-up email.

This is how the segmentation logic would look like:

Manoj_Kumar__0-1695101020781.png

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 1

Just to confirm, what you have shown here is only possible when we enable the AJO tracking event datasets for profile?

Level 1

Thank you for the answer anuhya-tad. Unfortunately query service doesn't come out of the box and requires a separate license. 

I must say it's extremely disappointing from Adobe how many basic features are unavailable in AJO at this stage. Being able to tell who is included in an audience, whether they opened or clicked on an email and other absolutely basic information should have been built in before the product was launched. I hope they are looking to make these updates ASAP. I haven't used a direct comms tool that doesn't have this functionality ever. Even CRM tools come with this functionality.

Community Advisor

@JPSFF 

I completely understand your frustration with the current limitations of AJO. It's essential for any marketing automation platform to meet basic needs, such as understanding the opens/clicks information of an individual user in an easy manner.

Level 1

I saw that the "AJO Email Tracking Experience Event Schema" has this attribute - _experience.customerJourneyManagement.emailChannelContext.address which apparently should have the email address which created the "message interaction". However in our case, it is not capturing the email address but only the domain.