Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to fire Third party extension ( Facebook, Twitter ) based on cookie consent ( either using JavaScript / OneTrust) GDPR law

Community Advisor

Hello All, 

As per the GDPR laws have mandated that organisations can no longer rely on passive consent for cookies

The ECID itself have an ability to wait for opt-in before firing. For that purpose the Opt-in service is a JavaScript library bundled with Experience Cloud ID (ECID) and exists in Visitor JS in the global  adobe object as the adobe.optIn object. 

But wondering how we can wait for other Third party extension including (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) not to fire on page load but fire only when consent provided. 

I'm looking either using OneTrust (Consent management platform / Plain JS ) solution.

Thanks in advance.

@Andrey_Osadchuk  @analytics_union @thebenrobb @PratheepArunRaj 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Gokul_Agiwal , 

Consent Management Platforms (CMPs) like OneTrust or TrustArc store the visitors' opt-in preferences in dedicated cookies. As part of their services, they usually perform a cookie audit and provide an audit spreadsheet. Then, they then ask the website owners to categorize all cookies into different buckets. The terminology differs from vendor to vendor but most of the time, you see at least 3 cookie categories: 

1. Essential Cookies
  2. Statistics/Analytics Cookies
  3. Marketing Cookies

Depending on the visitors' preferences, the CMP cookies have different values. I recommend asking the CMP vendor to provide you their documentation. Most CMP vendors already have pre-written implementation guides for GTM & Launch.

Even if they don't have one for Launch yet, the logic is always the same and you can simply Adobe-tize any tag manager implementation guide they have. For instance, Variables in GTM translate to Data Elements in Launch, Tags in GTM translate to Rules in Launch. 

What you can do in Launch: 

1. Set up data elements that read the CMP cookies
  2. Use the data elements as conditions in your rules
    1. Type "Regular" - Fire the rule only if the cookies have the necessary values
    2. Type "Exception" - Prevent the rule from firing if the cookies don't have the necessary values 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Gokul_Agiwal , 

Consent Management Platforms (CMPs) like OneTrust or TrustArc store the visitors' opt-in preferences in dedicated cookies. As part of their services, they usually perform a cookie audit and provide an audit spreadsheet. Then, they then ask the website owners to categorize all cookies into different buckets. The terminology differs from vendor to vendor but most of the time, you see at least 3 cookie categories: 

1. Essential Cookies
  2. Statistics/Analytics Cookies
  3. Marketing Cookies

Depending on the visitors' preferences, the CMP cookies have different values. I recommend asking the CMP vendor to provide you their documentation. Most CMP vendors already have pre-written implementation guides for GTM & Launch.

Even if they don't have one for Launch yet, the logic is always the same and you can simply Adobe-tize any tag manager implementation guide they have. For instance, Variables in GTM translate to Data Elements in Launch, Tags in GTM translate to Rules in Launch. 

What you can do in Launch: 

1. Set up data elements that read the CMP cookies
  2. Use the data elements as conditions in your rules
    1. Type "Regular" - Fire the rule only if the cookies have the necessary values
    2. Type "Exception" - Prevent the rule from firing if the cookies don't have the necessary values 

Level 1

Hi @kevalytics @Gokul_Agiwal 

We've having an issue in that using the OneTrust autoblock feature it's preventing Launch script running, therefore what cookies are required to run to enable Launch which are GDPR compliant as if its the AMCV cookies these track the user, so aren't compliant.

We require all cookies to be block and on acceptance the relevant cookies fire enabling first page tracking of Adobe Analytics

Thanks

James

Level 3

Hi jamesb37349107,

We are having a similar issue, although not using Launch, whereby OneTrust is blocking first page tracking upon acceptance of cookies. Did you get round your issue? If so, do you have any insights to share?

Cheers,

Claire

Level 1

Hi, We did,

We implemented an event to listen to a 'data element change' in Launch.to listen to the OneTrust (OT) Activegroups function.

This picks up which new OT category has been confirmed by user within 2 seconds of being selected so then fires the cookies - thus enabling first page tracking.

Level 3

Aah, cool. Probably not possible without Launch then?!

Thanks for the reply!

Level 1

I think you could implement something similar using GTM, what Tag solution are you using?

Level 3

Well. Our AA implementation is hardcoded Javascript, and we've also hard coded the OneTrust code. We do use GTM for our marketing pixels...

Level 1

I think you can setup in GTM a trigger to listen to for a data layer change, so could replicate same process we did.

Level 3

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me here!!!!!!

So because AA is hardcoded and doesn't touch GTM, would the GTM trigger still be relevant for that? It's given me a great idea for the remarketing pixels that we use, but I can't see how it would help the AA issue, but I might be missing your point...!!!!

Level 2

Hi @jamesb37349107 I am also facing the same issue , We wanted to block (dextp, demdex, dpm, Everest_g_V2 and everest_session_v2 wanted to block. Right now we have experience cloud id service extension

Looking for Quick soultion .

Thanks & Regards,

Madhusudan Sura