Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How I can track user behavior from Google Ads?

Employee

Hi Experts,

We are going to use Google Ads as a data source for one of our customers. Because it is a beta version, the Google Ads source connector cannot be used, and I can only see dummy data after connecting. Meanwhile, I can only export reporting data from the Google Ads UI, not user behavior data. Can anyone tell me how I can track user behavior from Google Ads? I’m not sure if a url parameter (for example, utm) can be added to the Ad’s URL to track user behavior. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you kindly.

Regards,
Jaman

2 Accepted Solutions

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Jamantai Right so what you are to do is two different things. 

1. Use the Google Ads connector: This ( as you mentioned) sources mainly the campaign performance report and may not include user behavior ( generally or at campaign level). The purpose of this would be to get this data into Adobe CJA  (or any other BI Reporting tool) for creating reports and dashboard
  2. User Behavior and Campaign analysis: To do this you will have to add tracking parameters ( utm in google terms) to the campaigns and track them using "web sdk" implemented on site and pass this data for reporting. You can either send this to Adobe analytics or CJA directly based on how analytics is set up within your org. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. 

View solution in original post

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Jamantai  You can read here on how to tag your google ads with tracking parameters, this example shows UTM params, you can additionally add the parameters used for adobe anlaytics ( example ?cid=cmpName:cmpDate ) 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863#zippy=%2Cin-this-article

Also i doubt you can capture the keyword, better check with Google Ads support on the same. 

Hope that helps 

Anil

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Jamantai Right so what you are to do is two different things. 

1. Use the Google Ads connector: This ( as you mentioned) sources mainly the campaign performance report and may not include user behavior ( generally or at campaign level). The purpose of this would be to get this data into Adobe CJA  (or any other BI Reporting tool) for creating reports and dashboard
  2. User Behavior and Campaign analysis: To do this you will have to add tracking parameters ( utm in google terms) to the campaigns and track them using "web sdk" implemented on site and pass this data for reporting. You can either send this to Adobe analytics or CJA directly based on how analytics is set up within your org. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. 

Employee

Thank you very much @Anil_Umachigi. Do you think custom parameters can be added to Google Ads URLs so that when the customer lands on the website from the ads, we can know what keyword was searched and which campaign was clicked by this customer?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Jamantai  You can read here on how to tag your google ads with tracking parameters, this example shows UTM params, you can additionally add the parameters used for adobe anlaytics ( example ?cid=cmpName:cmpDate ) 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863#zippy=%2Cin-this-article

Also i doubt you can capture the keyword, better check with Google Ads support on the same. 

Hope that helps 

Anil