Adobe Cloud Manager is integral to the continuous upgrade approach of AEM as a Cloud Service, as it controls all updates to your instances - this is mandatory.
Updates can be triggered by Adobe when a new version of the cloud service is available. Alternatively you can trigger your application updates using the pipelines provided by Cloud Manager.
Cloud Manager is:
1. used to manage AEM programs and environments,
2. an essential component of AEM as a Cloud Service; each new tenant is first provisioned for Cloud Manager access,
3. the single entry point for your operations and development staff.
Specifically, the number of and the type of AEM programs that can be created from the Cloud Manager is derived either:
1 from the customer licensing agreement,
2. from internal-driven actors when AEM as a Cloud Service is used for enablement, or training,
3. from external-driven processes such as trials started from Adobe.com.