Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Question regarding installing hot fixes that supersede older hot fixes

Level 7

Hi,

If we have a CQ5 instance that has an old hot fix installed, and then Adobe releases a new hot fix that supersedes it, can we just install the new hot fix onto the instance, or do we have to uninstall the older hot fix first, and then install the new hot fix?

Also, what would happen if we install the new hot fix, and then uninstall the old hot fix? Depending on the content of the hot fixes, could this potentially lead to a logically broken instance?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

LinearGradient wrote...

Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you say. My question is a bit more specific. To be more precise, here is the scenario we have:

Let's pretend we have a running CQ instance in which we have the NPR-3983 hotfix already installed. In http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/cq561-available-hotfixes.html, we can see that NPR-3983 is no longer available and instead it is included in NPR-4387.

Now if we want to install NPR-4387 on this CQ instance, do we have to first uninstall NPR-3983 or can we leave it as is and just install NPR-4387 on top? Or should we look at this on a case by case basis?

Thanks.

no need to uninstall NPR-3983. just install on top of it.  there are some hotfix(rare occurance) which needs uninstall & in those cases will mention in the note of kb article.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

this question covers 2 aspects:

1. when a hotfix overwrites "simple" nodes in the repository (not bundles), then the version, which has been installed last, wins. If you have 2 hotfixes, each one fixing an issue in the very same JSP, you won't get both fixes in.
  2. when a hotfix ships with new versions of a bundle, only the bundle with the highest version number gets installed. For example if you have a bundle A in version 1.0.2 installed, and a hotfix comes with version 1.0.6, the new version is getting installed. If then another hotfix comes with version 1.0.4, it won't get deployed, because its version number is lower than the one already installed.

In general, if you encounter case 1, it should be statement in the README about it. In case there isn't any, please ask Adobe support for clarification.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 7

Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you say. My question is a bit more specific. To be more precise, here is the scenario we have:

Let's pretend we have a running CQ instance in which we have the NPR-3983 hotfix already installed. In http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/cq561-available-hotfixes.html, we can see that NPR-3983 is no longer available and instead it is included in NPR-4387.

Now if we want to install NPR-4387 on this CQ instance, do we have to first uninstall NPR-3983 or can we leave it as is and just install NPR-4387 on top? Or should we look at this on a case by case basis?

Thanks.

Level 7

Hi Shekhar,

No offence, but did you even read my question? Where in those links is my question answered exactly?

Correct answer by
Level 10

LinearGradient wrote...

Hi Jorg,

Thanks.

no need to uninstall NPR-3983. just install on top of it.  there are some hotfix(rare occurance) which needs uninstall & in those cases will mention in the note of kb article.