Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Migrating assets from one cloud instance to other

Community Advisor

Hello Community,

We have 300 GB of assets in our Dev(AEM as cloud) instance. We need support to move these assets to stage and production. Package manager is failing to build and download packages if its more than 20GB.

Could you please tell suggest possible solutions for moving content to higher environments.

Thanks in Advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Raised Adobe ticket and got the reply that they are going to release "Self Service Content Tool" for moving content from one environment to other.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Community Advisor

@Mani_kumar_ : Please reach out to AMS team. They uses a tool called Glutton to load data into customer environments. Glutton is a small Java application that loads all assets from one directory into another directory on an Experience Manager instance. It will save lots of time in migrating the assets. If you want to handle on your own. Please try the below steps:-

When migrating assets between Experience Manager instances, you perform the following steps:

1. Disable the workflow launchers for DAM Update Asset.

2. Migrate tags

3. Migrate assets: There are two tools that are recommended for moving assets from one Experience Manager instance to another:

• Vault Remote Copy, or vlt rcp, allows you to use vlt across a network. You can specify a source and destination directory and vlt downloads all repository data from one instance and loads it into the other. Vlt rcp is documented at https://jackrabbit.apache.org/filevault/rcp.html
    • Grabbit is an open-source content synchronization tool that was developed by Time Warner Cable for their Experience Manager implementation. Because it uses continuous data streams, in comparison to vlt rcp, it has a lower latency and claims a speed improvement of two to ten times faster than vlt rcp. Grabbit also supports synchronization of delta content only, which allows it to sync changes after an initial migration pass has been completed.
  4. Activate assets:

5. Clone publish: As with a new migration, loading a single publish instance and cloning it is more efficient than activating the content on both nodes. See Cloning Publish.

6. Enabling back the DAM update asset workflow.

Community Advisor

Hi @Avinash_Gupta_ ,

Thanks for the above comment

I have tried the vlt which is memory consuming activity and grabbit which is not supported for cloud instances.

Do we have any other options other than these to handle in custom way?

I raised an adobe ticket and they were talking about azure storage, they have not suggested glutton, do you anything on how to move/store the assets to azure storage and then import to stage and production ?

Ragards,

Mani Kumar K

Community Advisor

@Mani_kumar_ : Have you thought about using content transfer tool. I haven't used it personally but going through the docs it looks like it has lots of potential in transferring the data.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/migration-journey/c...

Community Advisor

@Avinash_Gupta_ 

What i know is this tool is used for migrating content from AEM 6.X to AEM as cloud not sure how they work between two cloud instances.

Thanks

Community Advisor

@Avinash_Gupta_ Thanks for the update

But that works if we have assets on azure blob but how do we move assets from AEM dev to azure blob do we have any tool for that ?

Community Advisor

@Mani_kumar_ I have used AEM desktop app or Web Dav in past to export the assets but not to that scale. I don’t know whether there is any tool to export the assets directly to Azure blob.

Employee Advisor

@Mani_kumar_ 
Have been following the conversation below. 

For such requirement CTT is the recommended way to go. Please follow the below link which clearly mentions that Content Transfer tool can be used to move existing content from AEM instance (On Prem or AMS) to AEMaaCS

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/migration-journey/c....

Community Advisor

Is this also work for moving content from one dev cloud instance to stage cloud?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Raised Adobe ticket and got the reply that they are going to release "Self Service Content Tool" for moving content from one environment to other.

Employee Advisor

Does the response mentioned release date for this tool?

Community Advisor

It was mentioned they may release in next month.

No specific date

Level 1

Has Adobe released this tool to migrate content between AEMaaCS instances?