Expand my Community achievements bar.

Metadata update on Brand Portal

Community Advisor

Hi,

I do have a requirement where users in brand portal can upload the asset in brand portal contribution folder but i don't see the option to update the metadata field on brand Portal.

in our requirement i don't want to give brand portal user access to AEM assets(licensing constraint) so what should be the ideal solution to achieve this?

I don't find any adobe document for this one.

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

@DPrakashRaj As mentioned in below link, we can't update Metadata from Brand Portal. 

Schemas are available in BP just to facilitate users to read Asset Metadata which are published from AEM

Metadata is read-only in BP.
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-brand-portal/using/admin-tools/brand-port...

Community Advisor

I know that metadata is read only on Brand Portal. I need the opinion from the community advisor if they have suctioned any thing similar in the past.

As in our use case Agency will be uploading the assets on BP and not in AEM so what are the ways we can get the metadata information from them back to AEM as they are not able to edit the metadata in BP.

Community Advisor

Sounds like an offline process to hand over the metadata by the agency to someone who can enter it in AEM after assets from contribution folder are synced back.

Not ideal, however, that what seems to be the workaround.

Community Advisor

@DPrakashRaj i explained a crazy work around as a new text, but i wanted to add a direct reply.
What metadata are we talking about?
Is it something custom or something that is in the exif of the file itself? If so - the agency is able to edit this exif within Lightroom, Photoshop, any exif-Editor before they upload the file into BP. This metadata gets written into the file itself and should be transfered over to AEM. 
In case we are talking about a unique custom metadata property - check my crazy workaround solution below. Not ideal, but it should do the trick.

Community Advisor

Brand Portal is lacking a lot of necessary functionality.
We haven't figured out how to use it properly ourself.

But to your question - there might be a way to do it - Depending on the metadata, it is possible to add the regular metadata before uploading the asset into Brand Portal. Custom metadata will not work this way, but it is a start. And since the regular metadata is saved within the asset, there might be a workaround with the use of an otherwise empty regular exif metadata field.

For example:
Check if the IPTC extension field "Additional Model Info" is in use. Any other will do, but i use this for my example since it is a multi line text field.

If not, check with the customer if they intend to use it in the future.
If so - use something else.
If not - let the brand portal user write whatever needed in that field (use Photoshop, lightroom, any exif editor...) before they upload the asset into BP- then create a workflow in AEM, that triggers with the Brand Portal import and transfers the metadata information from "Additional Model Info" to the custom metadata of your choice.