AEM as a Cloud Service now has:
A dynamic architecture with a variable number of AEM images.
1. Is scaled based on the actual traffic and actual activity.
2. Has individual instances that only run when needed.
3. Uses modular applications.
4. Has an author cluster as default; this avoids downtime for maintenance tasks.
AEM as a Cloud Service is made available as individual instances with each instance representing a complete AEM environment. There are four types of environments available with AEM as a Cloud Service:
1. Production environment : hosts the applications for the business practitioners.
2. Stage environment : is always coupled to a single production environment in a 1:1 relationship. The stage environment is used for various performance and quality tests before changes to the application are pushed to the production environment.
3. Development environment : allows developers to implement AEM applications under the same runtime conditions as the stage and production environments.
4. Demonstration environment : can be used for evaluation, demonstration, prototyping, and training purposes.
The development and the demonstration environments are often referred to as non-production environments.