Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

How do updates appear on the user end?

Level 2

I'm wondering about the offline capabilities of DPS 2015 apps... How does new content appear? Does it pop up automatically when a user is online? Do we send push notifications for them to manually update? Is old content available when offline? Etc etc... Any other info on this would be helpful as well.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

It's the same as what you see in the preview app, although the time between when you click publish in the portal and when it is available in the viewer is longer due to server caching.

Users will see an update notification whenever they come into a collection browse view and we detect changes on the server. They can either tap the update notification to apply the change or we will auto-apply it next time they come back to the collection. Content previously viewed is cached offline and cleared out as needed with the oldest viewed content removed first.

Neil

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

It's the same as what you see in the preview app, although the time between when you click publish in the portal and when it is available in the viewer is longer due to server caching.

Users will see an update notification whenever they come into a collection browse view and we detect changes on the server. They can either tap the update notification to apply the change or we will auto-apply it next time they come back to the collection. Content previously viewed is cached offline and cleared out as needed with the oldest viewed content removed first.

Neil

Level 2

I'm still working in my preview app, but it does not seem to be caching previously viewed articles. Is there something I need to do to activate this function?

Right now if I view an article, go back to the home page, take my device offline, and click on the button to link back to that original article, nothing happens.

Thanks!

Employee

Hmm, that's odd, I'm not seeing this behavior with my own app. I followed your steps and I see the article.

Could you post a screenshot? Is it possible your article has a reference to HTML content that requires an internet connection?

Level 2

Maybe it is the way I've got it linked as a navto:// that's messing things up? How else do you link to another article?

Screenshot of the button below.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 3.57.25 PM.png

Employee

I see, you are using navTo links. I didn't try that.

Could you share the screenshot of your app when you get into this scenario? Do you see any error message?

Level 2

There's no error message... Here's a screenshot. Not much happening.

image1.png

Employee

I think I understand now. When you are offline you tap the "Real Real returns, 2015" button and nothing happens, correct?

Level 2

Yep - you got it.

I was hoping that it would have cached that page if I viewed it first before going offline. It doesn't seem to be working like that for me... Any ideas?

Employee

I'm not sure what's going on. This may just be a bug. I sent this to the team to take a look.

Level 2

Sweet - thank you so much for your help, Nathan. Much appreciated.