Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

trackLocation() calls

Community Advisor

Good Morning, Gigazelle

I am looking to get some clarification related to the trackLocation call.

I know that it should be set to fire every time the user launches the app, but I want to understand something:

• The instructions mention that trackLocation works the same as trackAction.  As a result, if we start sending trackLocation on a number of our calls, do we have the option to combine the data fired in our trackAction into trackLocation, or will we now be sending two calls and increasing our cost?

Jeff Bloomer

Senior Analyst, Digital Analytics Implementation

The Kroger Co. | Digital Site Experienc

Jeff Bloomer
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jeff,

Yes, you can indeed send additional contextData same as a trackAction call.  It would again depend on your requirement, it's likely not necessary to send trackLocations for each Action, the location, I would think would not move significantly from Launch until sending subsequent actions.

Jen

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

trackAction and trackLocation both send image requests, so you'd be increasing costs by sending both simultaneously. However, you can send additional data in a trackLocation call, as indicated here: Geo-Location and Points of Interest

Mobile Services is unfortunately not my forte, so I'm afraid I won't be able to go into much more detail than that

Community Advisor

Thanks.  Anyone on your side who would have additional insights?

Jeff Bloomer

Community Advisor

I guess the point I'm getting to is, should I start considering scenarios where I might replace the trackAction call to fire as trackLocation and fire the same context variables I'm currently firing in addition to the location data?  The goal here is to see an aggregate of users who are using the app within 100 meters of one of our locations or not.  Thanks again!

Jeff Bloomer

Employee

Hi Jeff,

A trackLocation request sends in the equivalent of a trackAction call.  Generally, you would send trackLocation when the app starts, and then as you as often as you need based on the requirements of your app.

Jen 

Community Advisor

Hi Jen!

I totally understand what you're saying.  What I'm wanting to know is if it's possible to replace a trackAction call with trackLocation and still fire all of the relevant variables I had in trackAction so I can preserve the amount of calls being fired.

For example, say I would normally capture adding an item to my cart using trackAction.  Is it possible to fire trackLocation instead and still pass all of the values I would have passed in the trackLocation call; or, do I still have to fire both calls separately?

Jeff Bloomer

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jeff,

Yes, you can indeed send additional contextData same as a trackAction call.  It would again depend on your requirement, it's likely not necessary to send trackLocations for each Action, the location, I would think would not move significantly from Launch until sending subsequent actions.

Jen

Community Advisor

Perfect.  That's the answer I was looking for.  Thanks!

Jeff Bloomer