Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Data comparison in between Analytics segment and AAM segment.

Level 1

Hi All,

I have created a segment in Analytics and sent to AAM and created one more segment within AAM itself with the same criteria. I want to understand the report variations?  I see there is around 20% more traffic in AAM Segment compare to Analytics segment in AAM. Can you please explain why?

And If I pull the report from  Analytics and compare it with AAM with the same date range there is again huge difference.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Suhas,

If you are seeing differences between numbers in Adobe Analytics (AA) and Adobe AudienceManager (AAM), here
are some things to check:

Segments

Comparing AA numbers/segments to AAM segments is quite complex, because they are counted so differently. For example, segments in AAM are always visitor-based and in AA, they can be visitor, visit (session), or page based. Also, even if it is visitor-based in AA, the number of uniques represent qualification for the segment and a visit on that very day. In AAM, total segment numbers don’t need a visit during the time period to count let alone a qualification. They just have to have already qualified for it in the past. And real-time segment numbers also don’t need a qualification during the time period, but they
just need a visit to the site, having qualified in past or present. Segments are little hard to compare sometimes. You are much better off comparing AAM traits to AA numbers.

Sharing Segments via the Marketing Cloud

The differences get even more extreme if you are comparing numbers after sharing an Analytics segment to AAM via the Marketing Cloud. AAM will see an initial spike in “Total Uniques” exactly when the segment is shared. This is because the users get sent into AAM in a batch process. When this happens, AAM does not retain historical uniques reporting on those users, so it will report on uniques for the segment as if they all came in on the day the segment was shared and uploaded into AAM.

For example, let’s say Analytics user A goes into Analytics on Monday and creates a segment of visitors who “Added Product
XYZ to their Cart in the last 60 days”.

Analytics says there is a total of 400 unique visitors who qualify (assume about 200 uniques each 30 day period).

User A goes back into Analytics on Tuesday and clicks “Share with the Marketing Cloud”.
         This kicks off a batch process that sends all 400 unique visitors over to AAM

AAM receives the data that day in a batch file and records +400 uniques in the segment. Since historical reporting is lost in the
process, all 400 uniques are reported on Tuesday in AAM.

This means if User A goes into AAM on Wednesday and runs a report on the segment for “last 7 day uniques”, the result will be 400.  This is different from what will be shown in Analytics because Analytics knows the true 7-day history of the segment, which is closer to around 50 uniques, assuming the segment was accumulating users at an even rate.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Suhas,

If you are seeing differences between numbers in Adobe Analytics (AA) and Adobe AudienceManager (AAM), here
are some things to check:

Segments

Comparing AA numbers/segments to AAM segments is quite complex, because they are counted so differently. For example, segments in AAM are always visitor-based and in AA, they can be visitor, visit (session), or page based. Also, even if it is visitor-based in AA, the number of uniques represent qualification for the segment and a visit on that very day. In AAM, total segment numbers don’t need a visit during the time period to count let alone a qualification. They just have to have already qualified for it in the past. And real-time segment numbers also don’t need a qualification during the time period, but they
just need a visit to the site, having qualified in past or present. Segments are little hard to compare sometimes. You are much better off comparing AAM traits to AA numbers.

Sharing Segments via the Marketing Cloud

The differences get even more extreme if you are comparing numbers after sharing an Analytics segment to AAM via the Marketing Cloud. AAM will see an initial spike in “Total Uniques” exactly when the segment is shared. This is because the users get sent into AAM in a batch process. When this happens, AAM does not retain historical uniques reporting on those users, so it will report on uniques for the segment as if they all came in on the day the segment was shared and uploaded into AAM.

For example, let’s say Analytics user A goes into Analytics on Monday and creates a segment of visitors who “Added Product
XYZ to their Cart in the last 60 days”.

Analytics says there is a total of 400 unique visitors who qualify (assume about 200 uniques each 30 day period).

User A goes back into Analytics on Tuesday and clicks “Share with the Marketing Cloud”.
         This kicks off a batch process that sends all 400 unique visitors over to AAM

AAM receives the data that day in a batch file and records +400 uniques in the segment. Since historical reporting is lost in the
process, all 400 uniques are reported on Tuesday in AAM.

This means if User A goes into AAM on Wednesday and runs a report on the segment for “last 7 day uniques”, the result will be 400.  This is different from what will be shown in Analytics because Analytics knows the true 7-day history of the segment, which is closer to around 50 uniques, assuming the segment was accumulating users at an even rate.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra

Level 1

Hi Varun,

I am running report for List 1 in AA for 1 month for Unique Visitors and same thing When I am doing in AAM I am seeing huge difference.

AAM is reporting 60% drop in Unique Visitors.

List 1 variable is set to never expire.

Even I tried chnaging TTL in AAM to Zero but it didn't work.

Do you have any thoughts?

Level 9

Hi Ujjawal,

I have replied on your other discussion thread.

Also, could you run a day by day report in AAM from General Reports > Trend Report and check from which date the number started declining.

Check the history of that trait or segment if there was any onboarding or spike of data 120 days ago?

Thanks,

Varun Kalra

Level 1

Hi Varun,

Thanks for taking this to your notice.

This is rule based Trait (online signals only), so there is no chance of spike due to on-boarding. Also Traffic should be in same trend as we have in AA ( I have SSF integration).

I am replying on this topic to main thread.

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Ujjwal