Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AAM segments in the Sitecatalyst call and those in mboxTrace (Target)

Level 1

Hello experts,

I have two questions on the AAM segments.

1.     We have app measurement 1.8 that contains a Audience management module which integrates AA and AAM. In the analytics calls' response tab, I see a few segments (screenshot 1). In the Target mbox call when you use mBoxTrace, there are a few segments in "cachedSegmentIds" (screenshot 2). What do these different segment ids represent?

1236009_pastedImage_0.png

1236010_pastedImage_1.png

2.     When I use the mBoxTrace to inspect the Target calls, I sometimes see "cachedSegmentIds" and "SegmentIds". How are they different? Which one will be used for targeting in a campaign?

Regards,

Vinodh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Vinodh,

Segments in SC call response are different than Mbox trace in way, that mbox trace shows: All segments which a current visitor is qualified for. It would not matter if the segments are mapped to a cookie, url or s2s destination or they are not even mapped to any destination. It would show all those segments for which current user qualifies.

SC call response shows those segments which are mapped to a cookie destination only and for which current user is qualified.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 9

Hi Vinodh,

In the analytics call response, you see all the cookie destinations that you have in AAM UI, and in those cookie destinations you see segments for which current user who accessed the URL is qualified for. For example there are 4 segments : A,B,C, and D & all these segments are mapped to a cookie destination and the current is user is qualified for segment B. Then you will see Segment B in cookie destination's response (under stuff).

In mbox trace : Segment IDs under AAM that you see are all those AAM segments that are linked with the current Target Activity. Cached usually show same segment IDs. I will add my findings on cached segment IDs on this thread later.

Thanks,

Varun

Level 1

Varun,

Thanks for the quick response. What do you mean by "linked with the current Target Activity"? I have not used any of those segments in the the audience for targeting. How could they be linked with the Target Activity?

Vinodh

Level 10

Løjmannryanr8 Can you please provide your inputs on the above query ?

Regards

Parit

Level 9

Hi Vinodh,

I have tested the similar scenario on a test website with AAM and Target.

I have implemented AAM and Target using DTM. I have a number of segments (more than 10) that are created from rule based trait.

I created an A/B testing activity in Target, and I did not choose any AAM segment, and I just proceeded with default : All Visitors.

Now when I visit the website page and run mbox trace, I see those AAM segments for which I am qualified, so I saw 3 segment IDs in the mbox trace. (for those 3 segments the condition was to just be a visitor of the site)

Then I created another AAM segment using rule based trait, and got qualified for it. Now I see that 4th segment as well in the mbox trace logs, and so far I have not linked any segment with that Target activity.

Apologies for my limited knowledge in previous response about segments in mbox trace logs.

Level 9

Now I did another test. I edited the activity I created earlier and instead of selecting all visitors in Target, I selected a particular AAM segment for that activity. When I am qualified for that particular AAM segment, I see the experience, and in mbox trace logs, I see all 4 AAM segments for which I am qualified. No where in the mbox trace logs I could see that segment separately which is linked with Target Activity because of which I was seeing experience.

Level 1

Varun, thanks for your response. so, we still do not know how the segments in the SC call differ from that in the mBoxTrace?

Gaurang, please do not mark the response as helpful. I have not got the answer to this question.

Vinodh

Correct answer by
Level 9

Vinodh,

Segments in SC call response are different than Mbox trace in way, that mbox trace shows: All segments which a current visitor is qualified for. It would not matter if the segments are mapped to a cookie, url or s2s destination or they are not even mapped to any destination. It would show all those segments for which current user qualifies.

SC call response shows those segments which are mapped to a cookie destination only and for which current user is qualified.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra