Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

The count of Unique visitors is much larger than one for certain Pfizercustomer ID

Level 2

In Adobe Analytics we found that “The count of Unique visitors is much larger than one for certain Pfizercustomer ID in one month, Please help to explain the counting logic.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe has a documentation page on the counting logic for Unique Visitors: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/unique-visitors.html?lang=en#ho...

In short, it's not based on your Pfizercustomer ID. Based on that ID's name, I assume it's a customer ID that's assigned based on a user's login. If so, then it is to be expected that more than 1 Unique Visitor can be reported against a single Pfizercustomer ID, e.g. due to browser private windows, different devices, etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe has a documentation page on the counting logic for Unique Visitors: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/unique-visitors.html?lang=en#ho...

In short, it's not based on your Pfizercustomer ID. Based on that ID's name, I assume it's a customer ID that's assigned based on a user's login. If so, then it is to be expected that more than 1 Unique Visitor can be reported against a single Pfizercustomer ID, e.g. due to browser private windows, different devices, etc.

Community Advisor

Just to add to this, we have the same thing... cause users on our sites can log in from their desktop, their mobile device, our mobile app, etc.... 

Unique Visitors is kind of a legacy naming convention that hasn't really been updated with times... but think of UVs as more like "Unique Devices"

In our case, I created a custom metric using the "APPROXIMATE COUNT DISTINCT" function...

IF USER ID Exists then
     APPROXIMATE COUNT DISTINCT
              USER ID

I use the IF statement to make sure that all the unknown users don't get bundled together as 1 User... then I call this metric "Distinct Users (approx.)"

I use both UVs and this custom metric, especially since many of our users don't have logins and therefore won't be counted in my custom metric.