Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Page Not Found Specific page

Level 1

Can we create alert in Adobe Analytics for page not found (404) based on specific page. For example : lets say we want to create a alert for homepage 404, if instances are more than 50, can we do that?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, this should be possible. You would need to create a specific segment for this.

Without knowing how your tagging is, I can really give you a full answer, but I can give an example with our tagging:

For ALL 404 error pages, our "Pages Not Found" dimension will pass a generic name like "404-error", we also track eVars for both "Current URL" (which includes querystring parameters) and "Canonical URL" and a "Page Type". So in my case, I could create a segment where the "Pages Not Found" (or Pages - since these values are the same) is "404-error" AND my canonical URL is my home page url (if you don't have that, you might have do use your full url with some rules to try and capture the variations), or where my page type is "home" (some combination that gets me my home page where it's also a 404) - You should test your segment in Workspace to be sure it returns the exact pages you want.

Then when you create your alert, you can set your metric threshold and drag your newly created segment into the filter

JDungan_0-1650382709126.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi you should be able to do that but the challenge will be does your IT dep include the referring broken url as part of 404 error page? Typically http 404 redirects do not addd desired (broken ) url to 404 page itself.

If not then I recommend you do the following...

Create an alert to make sure the alert is set to scan lets say hourly.

Then make a segment to capture the pagename of the 404 error page. Place whatever volume limit you need.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.12.29 AM.png

Then create a custom report where you look at 404 pageview and break it down by actual referrer instances. This way you can learn what are actual url sources with broken links and then have your IT fix them locally or by adding special redirects.

GLTU

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, this should be possible. You would need to create a specific segment for this.

Without knowing how your tagging is, I can really give you a full answer, but I can give an example with our tagging:

For ALL 404 error pages, our "Pages Not Found" dimension will pass a generic name like "404-error", we also track eVars for both "Current URL" (which includes querystring parameters) and "Canonical URL" and a "Page Type". So in my case, I could create a segment where the "Pages Not Found" (or Pages - since these values are the same) is "404-error" AND my canonical URL is my home page url (if you don't have that, you might have do use your full url with some rules to try and capture the variations), or where my page type is "home" (some combination that gets me my home page where it's also a 404) - You should test your segment in Workspace to be sure it returns the exact pages you want.

Then when you create your alert, you can set your metric threshold and drag your newly created segment into the filter

JDungan_0-1650382709126.png

Level 1

Hi @mahjoshi,

I believe triggering an event for error 404 page would be ideal(suggested if not done already) which you can use to map easily with the pagename/other page specific dimension and also you can set the desired alert.
Thats atleast how we're also handling it.

If you have done similar configuration then you can set the alert as following-

praveenkaushik_0-1650395583179.png

Hope this helps.