Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Numeric classification type not available

Level 2

I want to add a numeric classification to an eVar, but Numeric is greyed out in the drop down where you select classification type. Only text and Numeric 2 beta are enabled.

But according to this article, numeric 2 classifications are not supported in Analysis workspace, and it's there that I would want to use this classification. Therefore numeric 2 wouldn't work for me: Numeric 2 Classifications

Do I have to do something to enable the simple numeric classification? Has that feature been deprecated?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi all - Numeric, numeric 2, and date-enabled classifications will be removed from the UI in our April MR. They will continue to work in reports where you already have them setup, but we would discourage the continued use of them. They have not proven to be very reliable and are not supported in Analysis Workspace.

There are 3 recommended approaches for uploading numeric data to Analytics, depending on the use case:

1) Transaction ID data sources, if you want to upload event data that associates to a visitor profile. This type of data source treats the uploaded events just like they were collected online, and events can be broken down by any dimension.

2) Conversion ('Summary') data sources, if you want to upload an event more generally. This type of data source can only be broken down by day & the eVars uploaded against.

3) Customer Attributes, if you want to upload an event related to a customer.

More information here:

Data Types and Categories

Customer Attributes

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 3

Hi Jusaha,

You can only add a 'numeric' as a child of another classification (i.e. you need to add a 'text' classification and then add a 'numeric' to that).

Hope this helps,

Barry

Employee Advisor

Hello,

The numeric classifications have been deprecated long ago. For some reason it is still visible when creating a sub-classification. However, I would advise against using it as it will not be supported by the product teams.

Level 3

hyderziaee

In this post, Gigazelle​ recommends the use of a Numeric classification (due to its simplicity compared to Numeric2).

In addition, there is a lot of Help documentation providing instructions on creating Numeric classifications, and none of it includes caveats around deprecated functionality.

Is there any more detail you can provide?

Level 2

Is there then any other way to set up a simple numeric value to use in analysis workspace?

It seems odd that the old function is deprecated when the new function doesn't work yet (numeric 2 is in beta, and doesn't work in workspace).

Employee Advisor

Just last week an announcement was posted in our release notes indicating the retirement of numeric classifications:

Most recent Maintenance Release notes​ - ctrl + F for 'numeric' to see the announcement

I'll ask around and see what the recommended option is for these types of classifications in workspace.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi all - Numeric, numeric 2, and date-enabled classifications will be removed from the UI in our April MR. They will continue to work in reports where you already have them setup, but we would discourage the continued use of them. They have not proven to be very reliable and are not supported in Analysis Workspace.

There are 3 recommended approaches for uploading numeric data to Analytics, depending on the use case:

1) Transaction ID data sources, if you want to upload event data that associates to a visitor profile. This type of data source treats the uploaded events just like they were collected online, and events can be broken down by any dimension.

2) Conversion ('Summary') data sources, if you want to upload an event more generally. This type of data source can only be broken down by day & the eVars uploaded against.

3) Customer Attributes, if you want to upload an event related to a customer.

More information here:

Data Types and Categories

Customer Attributes

Hope this helps!