Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to see the referring domains within the marketing channel Internal?

Level 2

I have a list of sister websites from our main website. If I look at the Marketing Channels I can't see the Referrer Domains if I use for instance Marketing Channel Detail or Referring Domain. 

www.consumentenbond.nl is our main website and I want to see how many visitors were from our sister website www.klachtenkompas.nl when they converted. What dimension do I use to see the referrers within Internal in Workspace?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Livakster,

Check the Marketing Channel Detail value highlighted. If it not set to 'Referrer', kindly change it to 'Referrer' in Marketing Channel Processing Rules.

PratheepArunRaj_0-1619018299293.png

Also, make sure that you are not overriding referrer values manually on the pages i.e. Implementation.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 10

Is www.klachtenkompas.nl  listed in the Referring Domains dimension? If it is not listed there, then check the Internal Filters in the report suite configuration, this domain should not be listed in there to be recognised as a referrer.

Level 2

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your reply.

To make it more clear what my problem is.
- www.consumentenbond.nl is our main website
- These are examples of our sister websites: www.klachtenkompas.nl, community.consumentenbond.nl, ebikecollectief.consumentenbond.nl
- I have listed these and many others to the Internal URL Filters. So that these will be seen as 'Internal' by Adobe Analytics if I use Marketing Channel.
- However, I still would like to see the visitors from which sister website were responsible for the conversion.

See screenshot below of how I see it in Workspace:

Livakster_0-1619015223903.png

Level 10
To see the domain included in the internal URL filters among traffic sources (referring domains), you may want to implement a separate dimension

Level 2
Do I need to do this via our Tag manager Tealium? Or can I do this myself in Adobe Analytics?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Livakster,

Check the Marketing Channel Detail value highlighted. If it not set to 'Referrer', kindly change it to 'Referrer' in Marketing Channel Processing Rules.

PratheepArunRaj_0-1619018299293.png

Also, make sure that you are not overriding referrer values manually on the pages i.e. Implementation.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

Level 2
Thanks for the tip! I have tried this, however it still says 0. What do you mean by 'Also, make sure that you are not overriding referrer values manually on the pages i.e. Implementation.'?

Community Advisor
Hello Livakster, Adobe automatically capture s.referrer when set. If the value is overridden manually, it can lead to errors. Even for the internals, referring domains will be captured, so I am doubting the implementation. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B.

Level 2

Hello PratheepArunRaj, I have finally get it to work. Thanks for your suggestion. I only need to make it work that I see our subdomains in Marketing Channel Internal. My main website is www.consumentenbond.nl and our sister websites are now showing in the reports (www.klachtenkompas.nl, www.claimservice.nl), but not https://cvketelcollectief.consumentenbond.nl for example. Do you have an idea how I can do this?

Community Advisor
Livakster, Is the domain https://cvketelcollectief.consumentenbond.nl added to the Internal URL filter? If not, please add it to see the domain!

Level 2
@PratheepArunRaj: yes, I have added all our sister websites a long time ago to the Internal URL filter list. However, I think because it is a subdomain Adobe Analytics cannot set the Referrer.

Community Advisor
Livakster, Oh yes, sorry, only referring domain can be captured, not the referrer. If you need to understand the complete referrer URL, capture referrer instead of referring domain. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj.

Level 2
@PratheepArunRaj: referring domain was not working and I have followed your advice (see your earlier comment) and I have set it to 'Referrer'. That is finally working. However, I cannot see the subdomains. Do you have any suggestions?

Community Advisor
Livakster, Referrer is the complete URL, not sure why it is not capturing the sister domains alone. We need to validate the implementation & URL filter setup then! If you need my assistance to validate, message me to take it forward. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B