Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to filter on the right hit with sequence segments

Level 2

Hi there, 

I've an issue I can't solve on Adobe Workspace. Any help would be appreciated!

What I have : 

• a pageView hit with s.products and prodView event (hit A). 
  • a customLink with a fixed value when a button is clicked (hit B). 

What I want is to segment on all the hits A that are followed by a hit B, in order to seen what products trigger the more use on that button. 

Though I've tried but I can't figure it out with the sequence segments, I can't segment at a hit-level, only at a visit-level and so I get prodViews which are not relevant in my segment. 

Many thanks!

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This sounds like a prime use case for Attribution IQ, no Segments needed!

In a Freeform table, change the Attribution model of your button click event to "Last Touch | Visit", filter for the button in question (I used "Contact Us" below) and use Product as dimension:

FrederikWerner_1-1650641704063.png

This shows the last Product that has been tracked in a Visit before the user clicked the button in question. Attribution IQ is pretty helpful for cases like this, you can read some more examples here if you like.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear aduhem,

Tougher ask to be frank. Even if you try to use 'Only before' and 'Only after' sequences together, I don't think it is easier to get the answer you are looking for.

Go through my blog on Sequential Segments (Pageviews between Specific Pages) and try replicating the concepts discussed there. I would try to replicate the scenario from my end on my available time and come back to you if I get any results.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Level 2

Hi @PratheepArunRaj , 

Many thanks, indeed you have quite complete resources on sequential segments and that'll help me solving some other issues I have - but I can't get it work with this one!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This sounds like a prime use case for Attribution IQ, no Segments needed!

In a Freeform table, change the Attribution model of your button click event to "Last Touch | Visit", filter for the button in question (I used "Contact Us" below) and use Product as dimension:

FrederikWerner_1-1650641704063.png

This shows the last Product that has been tracked in a Visit before the user clicked the button in question. Attribution IQ is pretty helpful for cases like this, you can read some more examples here if you like.

Level 2

Hi @FrederikWerner , 

Cool to see you here, I often read your content and find it really useful. 

Thanks for your answer - it seemed perfect... but did not work in my case. 

I did as you explained, but I can't change the attribution model for "Custom Link Instances" or "Occurences"...

In fact, I decided for custom links to stop collecting specific events to them a while ago, because I could create a calculated metric with the specific link name and use it as an event in Workspace. 

So in my case, I think the only way is to add an event to that custom link and apply your method (but I would not be able to analyse historical data). 

What are your thoughts ? 

Thanks! 

Alex

Community Advisor

That indeed sounds like a blocker for this approach. As a personal recommendation, it is usually a good idea to create a custom Event with a Processing Rule to fire on every Hit. The event would be something like a "Custom Occurrences" metric that should be equal to Occurrences but allows for Attribution settings, Histograms, etc. All of this would not be retroactive, as you correctly stated.