Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to Create Metric for Average Time Between Site Entry and Page X

Level 1

I want to trend (daily over 1 year) how long it takes on average for a visitor to get from site entry (regardless of page) to page x. Any ideas on how to do this in Ad Hoc?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

The only way to do clean would be to pull in time-stamp and take the time-stamp of page A and subtract from the time-stamp page B.  

No awesome way to do in the UI.  Possibly you could setup a implement at eVar/Prop to capture the time stamp (might get messy).  

Also you could pull from the raw data if you have a feed setup and could do through sql or tableau.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

The only way to do clean would be to pull in time-stamp and take the time-stamp of page A and subtract from the time-stamp page B.  

No awesome way to do in the UI.  Possibly you could setup a implement at eVar/Prop to capture the time stamp (might get messy).  

Also you could pull from the raw data if you have a feed setup and could do through sql or tableau.  

Level 10

Hi, 

This situation is quite tricky and would require more conditions to be correctly defined. For example, is it the time taken from site entry to page x in a single visit ? Or is it the time taken from the first page view to page x across multiple visits? 

It would be great if you could provide more details.

TM

Level 1

I want the average time taken from the first page view to page x across all visits in a given period. In this particular example I want the average calculated for each day. The ideal resulting graphic would be a trend-type report where I can see what changes to the layout (marked at certain dates) increase/decrease the time it takes for a visitor to get to the target page. Thanks for helping! I hope I'm making sense this is all very new to me.

My thought was to make a trend report with the dates down the left side and the average time from first page view to the target page as the metric being measured on those dates. But the time metrics that I can find are either measuring the time spent on just the target page or time spent during the whole visit I believe. 

Level 10

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will try to figure out how could we achieve that meanwhile I just want to confirm with you if measuring time is the only required indicator for you. If you could measure the percentage of visitors following a particular path on your website will that solve your purpose? Adobe Analytics has a feature called 'Pathing' which shows you how visitors are moving within your website. You can take a look into Pathing Reports here - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/pathing.html

Let me know if this can also meet your requirement.

TM

Level 1

Thanks, TanmayM. The Pathing feature is great but it doesn't give me the specific information I'm looking for. 

ecarpe15, Unfortunately I only have access to the data through the UI. I'm an outside party tasked with specific analytic assignments, but I don't have access to the back end.